Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

over the cab atv rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[IMG][/IMG]

Name:  Timnath-Wellington-20130502-00058.jpg
Views: 10111
Size:  509.2 KB

It may not be for anyone but me, but I have over 500 miles on it now with gravel washboard roads included and it works great.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1eep
i have to agree with Moose on this, not sure it would be for me. Although it would be nice to tow my travel trailer and carry two full size quads in the truck.
well a buddy of mine built him an "over the bed rail" system that allows him to haul 2 quads in the back of his truck while pulling his bumper pulled Travel Trailer. it still has the bed open below the quads for other supply storage. works for him..he owns a dually.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by coloelk52
I am within a couple of weeks of final testing of an over the cab atv rack. It will hold 1 atv crossways over the cab of a pickup. This was born out out the many issues with double towing, pulling a toy hauler, pulling a travel trailer, you name it. I have seen this discussed many times on various forums, but never a solution, so I decided to come up with my own. It has been designed with 2 mechanical engineers, and a fab shop that is top notch. It has not been easy, but I really feel like we are close finally. I am trying to gauge weather or not there is a viable market out there for the design. Yes, I know it is going to change the center of gravity, yes, I know there are other issues that this raises, we have tried very hard to address them. Please let me know your interest or not. If there is enough, I plan to figure out a marketing plan here. Thanks
what issues were you having with tandem towing or toy haulers? i've done both with Zero issues for years. not enough truck? if you got a gasser, no wonder, you gotta get a diesel. i see from your pics that this is the same principle as the new vehicle truck transports use around their cab of their trucks(but you got to notice that their suspension is somewhat chopped and lowered so the actual total vehicle height remains legal). what does this set up do to your weight on your axles? is there too much on the steering axle as opposed to the driver axle? it appears that the center of gravity is thrown off some due to the heighth of the quads above the cab.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I weighed the truck and trailer axles loaded and unloaded as I went thru each phase of the build/assembly, I'm within the manufactures limits all the way around. The system is built off the truck frame so the center of gravity is not just "loaded" above the cab. The "roll" is not nearly as bad as one might think. In fact with the trailer hooked up, there really isn't any, as the pin weight more than sufficinetly loads the suspension.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

good deal.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Must say it looks good. Glad you've got a design that's working for your situation. Is the Chevy a 1/2, 3/4, or full ton? Other thought I had is how easy is it to put on and take off for the average person?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a 2500hd...3/4 ton. 3/4 and 1 ton srw are almost exactly the same trucks minus the overload springs.

Does look like a nice setup, I just couldn't do it to my truck.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, It's a 1 ton SRW. The reason I did this was because I didn't like losing 10 ft of space to a garage that's only paritally used. Plus the fact that it's illeagal to double pull in some 19 states and parts of Cananda. We plan on going to Alaska with the outfit and you can't get there double pulling. The Duramax has all the power I need. Also, I rigged up a lifting system that allows my to lift the top section off by myself. I use a geared hand winch although an electric would be nice, faster. The entire front section comes off by hand. I can have it on or off in 30 -40 minutes. The headache rack part stays in the truck, because I also have a spare fule tank sitting between the uprights that you can't see in the photo's.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been looking for such a unit, thinking of the type of over cab carrier that's part of large car hauler rigs. In such a setup, I'd expect the atv to ride parallel to the cab, rather than crossways. I haul a fifth wheel trailer and would like to be able to haul a 2 or 4 passenger UTV or small car like a Smart car. To load , I'd expect to have a 6-8 ft ramp behind the truck, and a ramp from the rear of the bed to the carrier. A winch mounted at the front to the carrier could load the vehicle safely.

I think there could be a market for such a unit in the fifth wheel rv community as there is no current way to haul an auxiliary vehicle on trips.

The following users liked this post:
HavOr (12-25-2021)
Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

the reason I load sideways is to keep more of the weight further back rather than forward, and also, I want to be able to unload the ATV so I can go check out boondock spots without pulling the 5th wheel back in too far only to find out I can't turn around or there are no spots or something.

Quick Reply: over the cab atv rack