Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

over the cab atv rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default over the cab atv rack

I am within a couple of weeks of final testing of an over the cab atv rack. It will hold 1 atv crossways over the cab of a pickup. This was born out out the many issues with double towing, pulling a toy hauler, pulling a travel trailer, you name it. I have seen this discussed many times on various forums, but never a solution, so I decided to come up with my own. It has been designed with 2 mechanical engineers, and a fab shop that is top notch. It has not been easy, but I really feel like we are close finally. I am trying to gauge weather or not there is a viable market out there for the design. Yes, I know it is going to change the center of gravity, yes, I know there are other issues that this raises, we have tried very hard to address them. Please let me know your interest or not. If there is enough, I plan to figure out a marketing plan here. Thanks

Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few things that come to mind other than the center of gravity issue...how do you get the quad up there other than 15 ft long ramps? How much wind/air do you want your quad taking...wouldn't guess that quads are designed to take 75 mph or wind sideways. The quads sitting on a trailer still have a little wind block in the truck...

Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds dangerous to me. I wouldn't want to be the one loading and unloading. As a matter of fact I wouldn't want to be the driver either.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default issues

The ramp question is a good one, on a 2011 chevy 3500, the ramps at 11 ft long will give me a 35 degree slope to get on top. I don't think that's bad at all considering what we ride as a matter of course in the mountains. The wind issue is also a good one. I have wondered about this also. It may be such a thing I will need to make a wing/air dam like what people run on top of their trucks to gain an aero advantage. Good questions. Jumbo Frank, extremem rider huh? whatever.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by coloelk52
The ramp question is a good one, on a 2011 chevy 3500, the ramps at 11 ft long will give me a 35 degree slope to get on top. I don't think that's bad at all considering what we ride as a matter of course in the mountains. The wind issue is also a good one. I have wondered about this also. It may be such a thing I will need to make a wing/air dam like what people run on top of their trucks to gain an aero advantage. Good questions. Jumbo Frank, extremem rider huh? whatever.
Jumbo Frank did not put that under his username. It gets put there automatically by the system as a certain number of posts is reached. -Moderator

I certainly would not want to put this rig on anything lighter than a 1 ton pickup. I don't like the center of gravity issue using the systems that have the quads on racks resting on the bed rails of a pickup never mind 2.5 ft. higher or so above the roof. I also would be very concerned with the wind issue. A good side gust would cause some serious problems, let alone the wind speed of going down the highway. When you get down to it, in my mind you'd have to make something as strong and heavy duty as a cab-over car carrier or near as strong. Like this: Image Detail for - car carrier in General Equipment by BA Products Forum

You asked for opinions on the marketability of this design. Personally, I'd not even consider it. Not sure what your costs would be but I might be able to get a deal on a truck like pictured for not much more money and the truck itself is designed for that kind of load up high. I know that a quad weighs less than a car, but if you're talking about a modern utility machine with gas, oil, winch, etc. on it you're talking about 800-900 lbs. or so. I'd be hesitant about this as a solution without a really beefy, and wide, truck under it.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

you are right, I asked about the marketability of such an item. Somehow people including yourself seem to think that marketability = design. Not sure how you figure that. Since you haven't seen the deisgn I wouldn't think it prudent to criticize it either. Guess this wasn't the place to ask questions.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If I were interested in a product like this These would be some concerns.
The esthetics of a exterior roll cage with a rack on top. I dont think a product like this would be marketed to a weekend warrior or some one who would occasionally use it.
I also feel it would be imperative to push all of the safety features incorporated into your design. With a atv on your roof any failure would be catastrophic.
Their is also the safety of the person loading the equipment. Are their stairs in the bed of the truck or a ladder? The ladder would limit the the groups you can target. For example I dont think you would find many retiree's who would be interested in a set up like this. They are too worried about breaking a hip ....
One last thing. How heavy are 11' ramps and how do you store them?
Best of luck!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by coloelk52
you are right, I asked about the marketability of such an item. Somehow people including yourself seem to think that marketability = design. Not sure how you figure that. Since you haven't seen the deisgn I wouldn't think it prudent to criticize it either. Guess this wasn't the place to ask questions.
I'm pretty good at picturing what someone is designing if they can describe it to me. I've built and remodeled homes for something like 38 years and I fabricate needed items for my quads on an "as needed" basis. If you produce one I'd love to see it and even try it out. (probably not with my quad and my weight though ) If it's something you end up producing there's a chance I could write up a review or one of the editors here might be able to also. Keep us in the loop.

I ride with different groups of riders in pretty much all of NH and about half of Maine. I've yet to see one of the rigs where the ATVs were up on the racks that mount on the bed rails of a pickup. Trailers are the big ticket here or if a single machine, in back of a pickup. I'm saying that design = marketability in the sense that it has to be a design people are going to want, first, and be willing to shell out the cash for, second. Third, to me, is straight appeal with safety another issue to some. The design you're talking about would work on a want or need basis for someone pulling a camper that doesn't have any more room for a quad. Willingness to shell out the cash for your design will obviously be contingent on how much you need to sell it for in order to maintain a profit and how much a consumer would be willing/wanting to spend. Appeal-wise, some will like it and buy it, some will like it and skip it, some won't like it at all. To me, it's a pretty narrow market you're aimed at. People, who's last resort to carry a quad or extra quad. I just don't see much of a demand for that here in New England. Maybe it's different in your market.

I'm just trying to give you food for thought. You're the gent taking the risks for potential reward and failure. I hope you succeed but I just haven't seen anyone saying, "How come no one has made a frame to hold a quad over the cab of a pickup?", or anything near that.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

i have to agree with Moose on this, not sure it would be for me. Although it would be nice to tow my travel trailer and carry two full size quads in the truck.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Range Rover

I think it is an innovative idea but I think the market is pretty slim. I might consider using one if the scenario is right. But there are a lot of things I would need before I would need the extra room for one more quad. Good luck and if you go through with it I hope you are successful.

Quick Reply: over the cab atv rack