Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

For those of us with the big families and more than two ATVs

Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of us with the big families and more than two ATVs

We are a big family, with five of us total. We will soon be purchasing 2 450s and two youth ATVs. For those with the kids, how do you tow all your gear and ATVs...would it best to get an enclosed trailer with that many machines, or would an open trailer be just fine? We have a Nissan Armada, so weight is not an issue.

Just trying to get a feel for how everyone with all the kids and gear trailers all there goodies. Dont be shy to show of your tow set-up either, I enjoyed looking at the other thread and seeing all the set-ups.

Thanks guys.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a 16' car hauler style flatbed i haul all of my toys on. i also put my grill, coolers, and whatever else on there. there's been times i wished it were 18-20' long, but i made it work. then i got into 5th wheel travel trailers. i then tandem towed that rig(pics in my album under profile). now i got a toy hauler and no need to tandem tow. BUT, i still have my flatbed that i use for other things, BUT, if we ain't gonna take the travel trailer, we'll take the tandem axle flatbed car hauler trailer load it up with toys, grills/coolers/supplies, and we go. it works for me.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

In my small toy hauler, I could put 3 full size atv's in sideways. Wasn't the easiest thing to do, but it fit. I would think two sports and two youths would fit in there as well. The problem I had was room when the atv's were out. Not much storage in our model. When we just had a tent, I used a flat bed trailer.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an open utility trailer that was custome made 6" wider than normal to allow two atvs to sit beside each other.

I've also used an open deck car trailer.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Range Rover

I have a 20x101 Mission Hybrid trailer.

I have 3 full size utility atvs and 1 rzr 170 in there. I put down E-Track and use tire bonnets. There is plenty of room inside

They are not too much $$$ and all aluminum and light :-)

Here is a link to one

Ads - Turner - 2013 Sno Pro Hybrid 101x20 4-Place w/Options!!!

Old 05-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

if you are buying a enclosed trailer I would watch how big and what frontal surface, the armada is not exactly a tow beast. While im certain it has plenty of power for the family keep in mind a enclosed trailer does have some drag. Best bet would be to actually try towing down the highway with one to make certain you like the feel.

Definitely an alum trailer is going to be much lighter, but the price tag isn't. The trailer smartdave posted would be a great choice for you.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Range Rover

I only drop about 3MPG when I tow it. Granted my tow vehicle is a 2011 Ram 2500 Diesel

Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

smartdave....slight difference between a diesel and the 5.6 small block that Nissan uses. I bet your diesel gets better towing mileage than the Nissan does empty.

Not putting the Nissan down, its a great machine, but I would definitely try the trailer on the highway before buying it.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Range Rover

Yeah I know :-) I was being funny (or at least trying to be)

Old 05-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

Actually I towed my 5x8 Mission open trailer (with sides and a ramp) up to the rockingham rec trail lastweekend and got 17.5MPG round trip. I have a RZR170 in the trailer and a Bruteforce 300 in the bed. I was quite happy with the mpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those of us with the big families and more than two ATVs