Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Tips and Tricks for enclosed trailer as a camper

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess you'll have to hang her a tarp "privacy curtain" and furnish ear plugs to the sleepers.
she can go the "roughing it" route and locate a five gallon bucket, fitted with a cheapo plastic seat, accessories--a folding shovel & twine to tie up the paper roll.
Put it out with the wild animals that roam in the night away from camp.
or
(this will earn you a spot in the dog house)
she is welcome to squat behind a tree and drip dry.

There is one thing that needs to be pointed out about the bucket method....even a cat has the sense to cover it's own crap!!!

Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I kick myself every time I write that check at the end of the month. I'd really like to trade it for a regular camper now... or better yet a motorhome. But the reality is I owe more than it is worth on a trade in. So I am kind of stuck. I kept telling myself I could rent a lot of hotem rooms and cabins to pay for a toy hauler, but I had a moment of weakness when Mrs DB said lets go look at toyhaulers and they just happened to have one on the lot that day with our name on it. My only complaint with it other than being over priced, is that it doesn't have a seperate bedroom. I have found that I like my privacy from the grandkids when I want to go to sleep. Something I had not looked into when I bought. I know better now. That and I have to unload the ATV's to sleep in it. Which is kind of meaningless when you are on the road and pull over for a few hours of sleep.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

Suggestion from a different direction. Be sure to lock the outside door latches in the open position. You don't want some kid locking you inside.

Matt B

Old 09-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

DB...dont feel bad there are plenty of people that bought big rv's years ago, my parent are sitting with a 42' triple slide 5er that they use 3 times a year!
Like i said the wife an i looked around, but we still like the rv we have, floor plan and it is only 8 years old, everything looks and works as new.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Dune Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
you are on the road and pull over for a few hours of sleep.
This is the primary reason why I wouldn't have a Drivers-side slide-out Bed!!!
Matter of fact, I don't want my sleepy head hanging outside on ANY side.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Dune Rider

Originally Posted by oldmattb
Suggestion from a different direction. Be sure to lock the outside door latches in the open position. You don't want some kid locking you inside.

Matt B
a drop pin on the inside of the door is a good way to go (bolt)
your post is an excellent thought that you wouldn't think of untill it happens.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider

You might want to go look at the Work and play line of toyhaulers. They are basic enclosed car haulers and you might get some good ideas from them. I like the idea of fold up seating etc, yet them making into beds too. And having room up into the kitchen to get another machine inside. A lot of companies use glass doors to seperate the garage from living space, Which is the first thing I'd remove so I can get another machine in.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Been thinking of building something like mentioned. I've heard dust is a major concern. What has everyone done about that?

Old 03-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry Johnnie I don't fully understand the dust argument. I don't think they would be any worse than a toyhauler. Fuel fumes are an issue, but just about every model I have seen has flow through vents to keep fumes down. For me and my Raptor toyhauler, the fact that I have basically an enclosed trailer that can haul 3 full sized ATV's, I have a full kitchen, full bath with shower, furnace, AC, TV, Sound system, a queen bed that goes into the ceiling, and two fold up couches that form a bed, AND another couch/bed, plus all the water I need, a flush toilet, generator and a fuel station. Now you can save a few bucks and build your own, but they are a lot of work. I have a work trailer that is almost the same size, and I plumbed it with pumps, 80 gal water tank, tankless water heater, dual LP Gas bottles etc. I learned enough to know I don't think I want to repeat that.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Sorry Johnnie I don't fully understand the dust argument. I don't think they would be any worse than a toyhauler. Fuel fumes are an issue, but just about every model I have seen has flow through vents to keep fumes down. For me and my Raptor toyhauler, the fact that I have basically an enclosed trailer that can haul 3 full sized ATV's, I have a full kitchen, full bath with shower, furnace, AC, TV, Sound system, a queen bed that goes into the ceiling, and two fold up couches that form a bed, AND another couch/bed, plus all the water I need, a flush toilet, generator and a fuel station. Now you can save a few bucks and build your own, but they are a lot of work. I have a work trailer that is almost the same size, and I plumbed it with pumps, 80 gal water tank, tankless water heater, dual LP Gas bottles etc. I learned enough to know I don't think I want to repeat that.
I sorry I meant build as to customize an enclosed trailer.

I've searched other forums(a hunting one) and noticed others had issues with dust. People have tryed siliconing all the seams, but still get dust. I know my uncle haula fireworks in his enclosed trailer and every year it collects dust. I'm pretty sure the enclosed trailers themselves have issues with it. Maybe it's just brands too

Quick Reply: Tips and Tricks for enclosed trailer as a camper