Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Looking for a trailer,probably a lawn and garden?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a trailer,probably a lawn and garden?

Im going to get into atv'n and im starting from scratch,so my tow vehicle is a nissan xterra which is rated for 5k lbs Max. My plan is to buy my son a quad and if by some stroke of luck if I have enough come spring get me a rzr. So if I get a trailer Im going to need to fit both machines. If not I'll just get a quad as well.
Well I seen two trailers locally I was interested in both were around the same size I think it was 6.5'x14'. I didnt see them in person yet,but from the pics they look to be in decent shape. The one is a single axled trailer "asking $1,000" the other is a dual axled trailer with some kind of electric brakes,tool box and and batteries "asking $1,100"

I didnt get back from the one guy with the single axle trailer about the weight of it,but the dual axled guy told me his trailer weighs about 1,300lbs,so im assuming the single axle trailer would weigh around 900lbs?

Quads I been looking at weigh around 600lbs and a rzr weighs around 1,000lbs so anyway I look at it I should be well under my 5,000lb limit "im guessing around 3,000-3,500lbs max. Would you need brakes on the trailer,is it worth it for me to look into hauling a heavier trailer with brakes,or go a bit lighter and no brakes?

Also the price for these trailers seem fair,I can probably get them for a little less but the ballpark price will be about $1000 for these landscaping/utility trailers. Also anything to check when I look at them,pretty easy maintenance just lube bearings,make sure no weak spots on the floor etc.?

Old 10-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

With two machines you need a trailer that will carry about 2,000 pounds if you include the fluids and full tanks of gas. You could get away with a snowmobile trailer that is essentially 8x8. I think the dual axle trailer you mentioned would be overkill and be a bit much for the Xterra. A Sporstman and RZR together would be 188" long or so or 15.6 feet. You may need a longer trail or if you can, wedge a single rider machine sideways in the front to fit the RZR. Check to make sure the lights work.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your local laws but in most states you'll need trailer brakes for anything RATED (not what you're actually trailering) to carry anything over 3,000 lbs. I've seen state requirements as low as 1500lbs though. Personally, I would go with the dual axle. They tug much better and easier to deal with on blowouts. They require more maintenance, i.e., 4 tire replacements vs 2, but for overall stability, especially with a short wheelbase of the xterra, dual axles hands down.

Yes, check for soft spots on floor if wood but should have metal frame anyways so it's an easy (ish) repair. Checking bearings is a good idea but can't always tell if they've been recently re-packed. Check springs for any cracks. Check frame for any cracks, especially cross members. Check coupler to make sure functioning properly. Check running, directional and brake lights. Check brakes (if equipped). Check tires. Ask if it comes with a spare and check that too. Ask if it comes with a jack and check that too.