Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Used U-haul trailers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Used U-haul trailers

Does anyone use a used U-Haul enclosed trailer to haul their ATV? While it might be a little cramped I always thought they would be ideal.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Honestly stay away from them unless you spend the money and have another shop look at them first. Uhaul stuff is abused pretty much on a daily basis with little to no maintenance done to them. Do some searching and you will see the failure rate of things due to no maintenance. Last time i rented a car hauler the brakes did not even work on it.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, there isn't a motor or trans to be abused. Bearings, brakes, and wiring/lights are about the only thing that could need attention besides obvious physical damage. For the right price and if you feel comfortable working on those things I feel it could be a viable choice.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

^^^ This from someone that has rented a uhaul trailer to go riding before, lol.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John32070
Does anyone use a used U-Haul enclosed trailer to haul their ATV? While it might be a little cramped I always thought they would be ideal.
What makes them 'ideal'? Because they are enclosed? because they are from Uhaul? Why would they be cramped? They come in 4 different sizes. Wouldn't you just get the size that best suits you?

Old 05-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Just because their is no motor or trans does not mean it could not be expensive to fix. I have seen them with cracked frames. If u don't know what your looking for its easy to hide. If they have had a major bearing false and damaged the axle surface and just tossed in new bearings without replacing axle. Their are lots of little things that can really add up in price. Also remember these are high milage abused trailers. A person would be better off buying a private used unit. The chance of high milage and abuse is much smaller. Unless you can pick up a uhaul for a couple of hundred I would not touch it.. I will not even rent from a uhaul now

Old 05-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by Zrock
Just because their is no motor or trans does not mean it could not be expensive to fix. I have seen them with cracked frames. If u don't know what your looking for its easy to hide. If they have had a major bearing false and damaged the axle surface and just tossed in new bearings without replacing axle. Their are lots of little things that can really add up in price. Also remember these are high milage abused trailers. A person would be better off buying a private used unit. The chance of high milage and abuse is much smaller. Unless you can pick up a uhaul for a couple of hundred I would not touch it.. I will not even rent from a uhaul now
I don't disagree with you, it is definitely buyer beware. On the other hand, I was looking at a used enclosed trailer a few years ago. The guy was holding the a frame to the rest of the frame with 2 come a longs!! Apparently he thought that was an acceptable fix.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by Scooter86
I don't disagree with you, it is definitely buyer beware. On the other hand, I was looking at a used enclosed trailer a few years ago. The guy was holding the a frame to the rest of the frame with 2 come a longs!! Apparently he thought that was an acceptable fix.
Amazing what some people will sell as good.. Definitely a buyer beware world out their. At least when i sell something its eater in good shape or i will disclose everything wrong with it. Just like a old truck i sold. had a random steering issue and would lock up when turning. Told the buyer about the issue. they bot it slapped some paint on some body work i had not completed and sold it. Truck is now a write off as they did not tell the person they sold it to and he smashed it up..