Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Pro's & Con's of ATV trailers

Old 09-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you buy you should measure how long your quad is to see if the trailer is wide enough. If not Maxey makes wider trailers too.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Echo makes the same style of trailer but I think they are out of Utah. Elite Trailer-HUB

That style seems fairly popular here in CO.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocket204
Echo makes the same style of trailer but I think they are out of Utah. Elite Trailer-HUB

Those Echo trailers really come in a wide variety of sizes.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Before you buy you should measure how long your quad is to see if the trailer is wide enough. If not Maxey makes wider trailers too.
Yep, first thing I checked.

I like that it is powder coated, room on tongue for a toolbox or gas cans, and the swing away jack for sure. Looking at the pictures tho, the Maxey seems heavier construction, maybe.

I called the local dealer (1hr away). He hasn't carried them for years, and says they custom build trailers mostly. He also said the ATV trailer is one dimensional and can't be used for much else due to the angled sides.

What ever I buy, I will install E-track to add versatility.

Originally Posted by greg74
Those Echo trailers really come in a wide variety of sizes.
That was the next strike, it leaps from 9' to 14'. The 9 won't hold a 3rd bike, and the 14 wont really pay off until I get a 3rd bike. Until then I have an extra 6' of tail unused. But assuming I do hit the 3 bike mark someday, the Echo gives me 2' more for gear & beer.

I can order from Cali, but looks like Maxey is still in the lead.

Thanks for the help, learning more each day!

Old 09-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mac
I like that it is powder coated, room on tongue for a toolbox or gas cans, and the swing away jack for sure. Looking at the pictures tho, the Maxey seems heavier construction, maybe.
Yeah, not sure as I've never seen a Maxey myself... I do know the Echo trailers can be had with heavier duty axles same as what Maxey is listing. BTW, as long as there is room to mount it on the tongue, you can buy swing-away rolling jacks at most farm supply stores that carry trailer parts.

I called the local dealer (1hr away). He hasn't carried them for years, and says they custom build trailers mostly. He also said the ATV trailer is one dimensional and can't be used for much else due to the angled sides.
That comment from them probably has their own agenda under the surface. They probably have better margins on the trailers they build so obviously they will push their own builds. I actually have a two place ATV trailer that is a Voyager... the company the preceded or was bought by Echo. It is not of the same construction they are doing now but has the same basic shape with the lower angled sides. I traded a practically new generator for it since I had no use for the generator any longer. I have used my trailer to haul many different items... just need to know how to properly tie down items and it works just fine.

The 9 won't hold a 3rd bike, and the 14 wont really pay off until I get a 3rd bike. Until then I have an extra 6' of tail unused. But assuming I do hit the 3 bike mark someday, the Echo gives me 2' more for gear & beer.
Another option to keep in mind is if you tow your ATV with a truck that has an empty bed. You can have the trailer hooked up, and then use ATV ramps from the trailer bed to the truck bed and load/unload an additional ATV into the truck bed.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

BTW, as long as there is room to mount it on the tongue, you can buy swing-away rolling jacks at most farm supply stores that carry trailer parts.
I looked at the Maxey again today omw to another ATV dealer, it comes with the swing up jack. There was no wheel on the post, but maybe I can swap it.

That comment from them probably has their own agenda under the surface. They probably have better margins on the trailers they build so obviously they will push their own builds.
Agreed, I was thinking when we spoke - the Echos are kept to sell against and push his own brand.

I have used my trailer to haul many different items... just need to know how to properly tie down items and it works just fine.
Yep, I've installed lots of E-Track in my company trucks. This trailer will get the full treatment of tracks, straps and bonnets.

Another option to keep in mind is if you tow your ATV with a truck that has an empty bed. You can have the trailer hooked up, and then use ATV ramps from the trailer bed to the truck bed and load/unload an additional ATV into the truck bed.
Thats brilliant! What a great tip!! Thanks again for your reply.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

We've used the ramp from the trailer to the truck trick more than a few times. I have an open 101"x 12' snowmobile trailer. Can carry 3 on the trailer and one in the truck bed. If we have 3 quads we take the ramps for loading the 3rd in sideways anyhow. Putting one in the truck bed isn't a hassle in any way.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

1st weekend, trailer is a breeze!

Old 10-05-2015, 01:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good, I assume you are pleased with it.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer

oh yes, mashed up a little youtube video

Last edited by MooseHenden; 10-05-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pro's & Con's of ATV trailers