Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Pro's & Con's of ATV trailers

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! Just be careful loading, I can see accidentally going over the rail, haha. I agree with Adrian Miles, most trailers are ok slightly over loaded, if you keep tire pressure at max. I've had as much as a cord of green maple on my 5'X 8' cheap Tractor Supply ATV trailer. (4,500 lbs) Towed out of the woods behind my Arctic Cat.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have used a side load trailer for 17 yrs and really like it. I had mine built by a local trailer building co. I did the design and they built it to my specs.
I had them add stake pockets all around the outside of the trailer for stake sides which were removable to load and unload and also served as the ramps for loading and unloading. You could load or unload from either side and it was also a tilt bed for hauling other items if needed. Have to be carefull when loading to be sure heaviest atv is in front. The only down side is if other peope park close beside you then you can reload but a simple backup of the trailer cures that. My trailer is made of steel tubing with a plywood floor (3/4") looks just like a snowmobile trailer but has the removable stake sides. I used 2x10 lumber for the stake sides/ramps and have never had an issue. I have had many compliments on the trailer since it was built. Mind you it was built in 2000 and it cost me 650 bucks and I had to do the wood floor and sides. Very simple construction and it tows great. I no longer have my atv's and have moved into a SxS so I still use that trailer for that but no longer use the side load feature, instead use the ramps from the stake sides in the rear. The stake pockets also serve as the attachment area for the ramps so I had to be specific where they were welded on. Every couple years I scrape any loose paint or rust and give her a repaint....works great.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian Miles
every trailer I've ever had has done well over it "rated" weight capacity hell I've hauled 12k on a 5k trailer went 150 miles an no probs... Every trailer is rated way under its capabilities for safety
Going a little over weight on a trailer is one thing but going over double the weight is just dangerous. You may not care for your own safety but at least have some consideration for those of us that have to drive around you.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrock
Going a little over weight on a trailer is one thing but going over double the weight is just dangerous. You may not care for your own safety but at least have some consideration for those of us that have to drive around you.
100% agree!!!

Originally Posted by Adrian Miles
every trailer I've ever had has done well over it "rated" weight capacity hell I've hauled 12k on a 5k trailer went 150 miles an no probs... Every trailer is rated way under its capabilities for safety
Does that include assumptions about the axle(s), wheels and tires too?!? You are playing Russian roulette with other's lives.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Biggest issue is to look at load cap on tires, if you exceed that one your tires will fail and all heck is gonna break loose with a full load on it. Axles and springs can be exceeded by a small amount 10-15% but never overload the tire! That is real world experience!!

Old 09-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Going out on a limb here and guessing that trailer is a snowmobile unit. Usually are narrower and have the V-nose. Which works really well for snowmobiles, but for your modern Utility, not so good. That V=nose is barely wide enough for a full size ATV. You will generally be very close to dropping a wheel off every time you use it. Read that dangerous. If you are hauling multiple Utes, then you need the 101 wide units or they simply will not fit. A full size Can-am goes 7.5 feet long. And 50 inches wide. That is going to be too narrow. Plus a new Renegade will push nearly 1000 lbs, ditto for their XMR's too. My advice. Buy a bigger trailer than what you need today... You will thank me later.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I'm looking for a bigger trailer right now. Current trailer is 8.5 x 16 and it isn't big enough. New trailer is going to be 8.5 x 22.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I am always amazed by the way people will spend a LOT of money for a new machine costing nearly $10,000, or several and have $25,000 to $30,000 plus... then they cheap out on trailers and or safety gear. Those of us here making recommendations on size and urging you to get quality products are doing so because we have probably learned the hard way that a penny saved in this example is going to bite you down the road. This sport isn't a cheap sport to get into. Many are forced to spend the $ because we need a machine to do a certain thing, and we use them as tools. But price your typical Bass boat... and you will see that you are not out of line. Again, buy the best stuff you can afford.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
I am always amazed by the way people will spend a LOT of money for a new machine costing nearly $10,000, or several and have $25,000 to $30,000 plus... then they cheap out on trailers and or safety gear. Those of us here making recommendations on size and urging you to get quality products are doing so because we have probably learned the hard way that a penny saved in this example is going to bite you down the road. This sport isn't a cheap sport to get into. Many are forced to spend the $ because we need a machine to do a certain thing, and we use them as tools. But price your typical Bass boat... and you will see that you are not out of line. Again, buy the best stuff you can afford.
exactly.... Even with straps people will go buy the cheap $10 pack of 4 from walmart and then only use 2 of them... I never got cheap straps but a decent quality and i was replacing them every 6 months or more as they were wearing out and fraying... Went out and bought a good set of quality purpose built straps and now on 2 years and still in great shape. So in the long run it has worked out cheaper as i was spending $60 on 4 straps prior and these cost $200 for 4. So at my original low er quality straps i would have spent roughly 240 by now and thats if i continued to get them on sale..

Old 09-30-2017, 11:50 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple of my friends have really cheap straps from Harbor Freight. Those things are practically paper thin and look like they would break with barely any effort. I think they're only rated for 300 pounds or something really low like that. I've looked at straps at HF and they have heavy duty ones too but nobody bought them. If I ever bought straps there I guarantee it would be the heavy duty kind. One strap is strong enough to hold an ATV so 4 of them would work great. I would also look at a local department store that has everything from groceries to automotive stuff. I think that's where I bought the straps I have now.

Quick Reply: Pro's & Con's of ATV trailers