Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

In or out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 heavy duty tie down straps $30.00
Nice new atv or utv, 10k on average
Busted transmission, priceless

Old 02-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Moto Psycho

Will hauling it in gear wreck a CVT? That's what I used to do before I got one with a parking gear.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always strap/chain quads, tractors and backhoes the same way. The machine always gets put in low gear with cross straps front and back (minimum). If a quad is strapped properly there will no movement and no stress on the tranny.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Parking brake on and cross strapped. You can also strap your machine down to tight. Machine should be strapped to let the suspension work. If its strapped to tight suspension cannot work and this transfers all the bumps back into your trailer/veh. Also makes it harder on your straps i would consistently break straps before and now have not broke/lost a strap in a year and the machines are much more secure.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Zrock;3314458 Machine should be strapped to let the suspension work.[/QUOTE]
Thats a very good point.
I wrap the straps around the end of the A arms and hook the strap back onto itself. The strap wont move on the A arms because the A arms are triangles and it does not compress the suspension.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Moto Psycho

I strap my quad down really tight since I lost a strap when it wasn't tied down that tight. The trailer suspension does it's job and the ATV suspension doesn't do anything. It all moves as a single unit. I haven't lost a strap in several years since I started really cranking down the straps. The ATV doesn't bounce around or roll so I don't think it matters what gear it's in. It just doesn't move.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

These are the straps i use now. Work great and no more broken straps. did not seem to matter how much i spent on good quality straps the road salt and dirt would kill them in less than a season even with washing them off every week.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ckle-Tie-Downs

Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the bottom line on in or out of gear comes down to it really does not make any difference if properly strapped down with good quality straps. After talking to a couple factory reps in the atv/utv business, there main concern is "what if" ??? If you had to jam on the brakes or unlucky enough to actually hit something or someone hits you and your atv/utv is suddenly lurched in a forward or backward motion with some force and the transmission is in gear, then damage can occur that will not be under warranty. The next problem will be trying to explain this to your insurance company! You have no physical damage to your machine but the transmission is screwed up!! This appears to be the general consensus of those I have spoken with. If you never get into a crash/sudden impact scenario then it won't really make any difference. I have gotten into the habit of using the parking brake and good quality straps with vehicle in neutral so I will continue that for the "just in case" scenario. If we had better driver courtesy on the highway then "just in case" scenarios would probably never happen and we would not be concerned about this issue.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:23 PM
Moto Psycho

One time a car pulled out in front of me while I was going about 50 MPH and I slammed on the brakes. The truck almost stopped and the trailer whipped around into the other lane. I had the quad strapped down tight on all 4 corners with ratchet straps. As far as I can tell the quad didn't move. If it did move it didn't hurt the quad or the straps. I think it would have taken a pretty hard impact to hurt it if anything will hurt a CVT.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I think you make a good point about a CVT type tranny. No engagement without the motor running so how would the tranny get damaged? However on shifting transmissions the mfgs may have a valid point about leaving it in gear and having an accident. Not sure just how the Park works on my cvt tranny so to be safe I will continue to use neutral for that "just in case" moment...

Quick Reply: In or out of gear