Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

horse trailer conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for that info, in the past I have had serious towing covers made at tarp places that make tarps for semi trucks. Their quality is second to none.
I just stopped and got an estimate tonite on the way home. For less than 400 they can custom fit a cover with all tie down points reinforced and cinch points so there will be no flapping in the wind. My last ones are more than 10 yrs old without any issues and still work perfect, only problem is they are to small for the UTV. Those cost me 175 each but are still in like new condition other than dirty from use. No tears, rips, thread bare spots, no loose stitches just dirty. I am willing to spend the extra to get a custom fitted quality cover that will stand up to about anything rather than getting a cheapie cover that needs to be replaced each year or sooner.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those must have been some well made covers. Sounds like the way to go.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

Yes they are well made and the material is very....no..extremely strong! Same stuff they use on semi trucks to cover 50 ft trailers. The covers are a bit heavy but tough as nails. Not a typical fabric like the store bought covers but more of a vinyl covered fabric that is quite thick. Material does come in different thicknesses, I believe they classify it as weight of material so a lighter duty or a heavier duty material can be chosen. I have made 3 trips to hatfield/mcoy from my house (6-7) hr drive plus numerous other shorter trips with these covers on my atv's and no sign of shredding from the wind.
My neighbor has used one to cover his a/c on his motor home for the past few years and it shows little if any sign of wear and tear. The tarp makers will advise on where and how to tie it down and add necessary grommets and D rings at tie down points so you know how to secure it so wind will not be a factor. In fact the guy wants me to ride the machine over so he can get finish dimensions and when the cover is about done he wants me to bring it back on the trailer so he can determine proper tie down points.
I do have to admit though that the covers are heavy, not sure how well I am going to be able to handle the weight of throwing this cover over my machine by myself. I may go with a slightly lighter weight material this time to help reduce that weight.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds great stuff on that cover, share some pics when its done.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Well I got some bad news on the cover today, they no longer carry the material that has a fabric inside liner and they no longer handle the lighter weight material. I was told it was no longer availiable. With their current material they estimate the weight of the cover will be just under 100 lbs in total. There is no way these old shoulders can lift that up on top of my UTV and be able to fold it down. That really sucks as these covers were really tough. I knew my atv covers were heavy but never imagined the weight of this larger cover and then having to lift it more than 6' up in the air just ain't gonna happen with this old body. Soo.....back to the drawing board.....