Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide what truck to get

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide what truck to get

I just gave up my 99 f150 for an 09 Tacoma trd sport double cab. The ford was ok but this Tacoma is awesome! Both aren;t bad trucks but I would go for the Toyota simply for reliability and resale value. They last a long time

Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Range Rover

your screen name screams " Mostly Oxsidized Paint And Rust " there Ace ! lmfao !

back on topic:

I have ran them all and I have the best luck with GM products. . .American light duty trucks are good for 300,000miles, medium dutys 500,000miles heavy dutysthose vary a bit 750,000 to 1,500,000miles. . . Import trucks light duty 1/4 tons up to semi tractors will run for 500,000 to 750,000 miles i've seen it happen this way 3 dozen times. . .

I would look at what the truck will tow how many miles how much it costs to buy whats the maintence going to cost you how long do you really want to drive it ?

if you plan on getting a new truck every 1 to 3 years theres no piont in getting a 500,000+ mile life span truck ! ! !

mike

Old 11-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: firehog

.....not so with my Tundra, though. 5.7L V8 and almost 400HP's! !!!</end quote></div>

My wife bought an 08. Nice engine and tow rating! And with the 150 more expensive it was an easy choice. But having driven a Ford 250 for over ten years with only a window actuator going out. I am very happy. I wouldn't worry about the reliability of either. It seems the Tacoma has been around forever and the F-150 was the best selling for a reason. The used market in the future is where its gonna be at. New will be much more expensive and money harder to get.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Pickup was J.D. Power and Associates award winner for "Highest ranked Large Pickup in Initial Quality". Just like the 2007 Silverado was named the highest quality last year. The Silverado and GMC Sierra are the only 2 full-sized pickups to get a 5-star frontal and side-impact crash test rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If you want a new, high-quality, tough, safe, powerful pickup, with the best V-8 fuel economy, then look no further.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 AM
DCT
Banned

I really miss me ole F150. It was a fine truck. However, when I sold my boat, with the gas prices the way they are, I decided to get rid of her. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

With that said, and the way gas prices can go wild, I think the Tacoma is a great vehicle.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Range Rover

Well i can personally speak very highly of Fords. I had a used 98 expedition that was great, I've had 2 new F150's and 1 new F250 diesel,,

The F250 was a dog and I had problems with the motor/turbo. It was a beast as far as towing and hauling.

I got rid of my first F150 for the 250 and ended up going back to the 150
Here is my current baby with my 800 riding piggieback

Stay away from the TOYota...

2007 F150 FX4 Dark shadow grey
20" factory rims
Banks high ram CAI
Gryphon chip w/ custom tunes

I'm getting about 45 more HP and about 3-4 mpg more..... when I'm not goosing it...

Name:  DSC_0045.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  48.7 KB

Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Just to be my normal obnoxious self: It's funny when Ford says they sell more trucks than any other company. If you add up GMC and Chevy they sell more than Ford. Just my .02 worth and it doesn't really add up to anything. I personally would go with either a Nissan Titan or a Toyota Tundra. Really, all the trucks are decent but nothing has treated me as well as the Nissan and Toyota I had in the past. In that order too. I'm not sure how I could have killed the Nissan. When I traded it in there was a guy driving it around a couple towns away for about 3-4 more years. I traded it in with 147,000 miles on it.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Just about any truck on the market is going to be capable of pulling a single ATV. chances are you can haul it in your bed. The 4 banger will get better milage empty, but the v-8 will win out when under load. Chances are, the newer v-8s will rival the little ones there too. Ride around in them before you choose. Some of the smaller trucks ride pretty rough. Like most here, I have driven Fords big and small, Chevy's, and the past two have been Dodges. I had the hemi, but when pulling a very large trailer 5000+ lbs, it was a dog and strained. I was really surprised about that. I know the rear gearing was all wrong. But not to be deterred, I traded up to Cummins diesel, and it made all the difference. Pulling nearly 10000 lbs now, I get 16 to 18 MPG. I'd be lucky to get 6 with the Hemi. You have to get a truck with the proper gearing AND motor if you go big. This truck should last me the rest of my life. The Cummins motors are great.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

ford is the ONLY way to go with trucks.

dodge is the best to avoid (tranny problems, front end problems, weak 2-bolt main gassers, and plasticky interiors. but they do have a great diesel)

and gm is somewhere inbetween.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I have been known to pull a 10'x101 covered snowmobile trailer with 3 dirt bikes and camping gear with a Pinto. Or should I say, the trailer drove the car.... so yes I believe it will go down the road. Was is safe? Heck no. I have personally had the pinto and trailer flying 10 ft in the air doing my best Dukes of Hazard impression as a result. Instead of pulling power, don't forget to pay very close attention to stopping all the weight too...

Quick Reply: Help me decide what truck to get