Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide what truck to get

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from toyotas!

YouTube - Ford F150 vs Chevy vs Toyota - Bed Bounce

There is also alot more videos to watch for eductional purposes.

I used to be a ford truck person, owned a few F250's, but now am a GM truck fan. GM trucks have the most power in class and came with alot better standard goodies, st least for my generation they did. I am not a fan of the nbs trucks though. My 2500 HD has plenty of power and TQ and I'be modded it a bit as well. I can now carry well over 6000lbs payload in the bed with extra HD spring and towing is very good! It also handles an 8ft western pro plus very well, and that plow is heavy!

If I were in the market today for a 1/2 ton, it would either be the avalanche or F150. Also keep in mind, when you buy a TOYota, 80% of that money goes to japan and only 20% stays in the USA. There;s a coupel of issues with nbs GM trucks, with new 6 speed, but a simple reprogamming seems to satisfy nbs onwers. I've owned GM's in the past that had close to 600,000 miles on it, if you take care of your vehicle it will last you a long time.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Heck boy, I used to pull a covered snomobile trailer that wsa 16 ft long with a Pinto, so you can just about pull anything you want. Was it safe, no. In fact, many itmes I wondered if the trailer was steering the car.... the point I want to make here, is buy a truck that is matched to the majority of driving you will be doing. I suspect you will not be towing anything for about 80 to 90 percent of the time. So plan for that. For the few times you do pull a trailer, so what if gas milage sucks. Now that being said, I have learned my lesson and now own a Dodge 2500 with a cummins diesel. It will be my last truck. I can't see ever needing anything more than this. I traded my hemi for it and have been very happy with the choice. My Hemi struggled with my enclosed trailer and got 5 to 7 MPG. I now get 17 to 20, pulling twice as much weight. The fact is, that Cummins actually pulls better heavy than when empty.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Heck boy, I used to pull a covered snomobile trailer that wsa 16 ft long with a Pinto, so you can just about pull anything you want. Was it safe, no. In fact, many itmes I wondered if the trailer was steering the car.... the point I want to make here, is buy a truck that is matched to the majority of driving you will be doing. I suspect you will not be towing anything for about 80 to 90 percent of the time. So plan for that. For the few times you do pull a trailer, so what if gas milage sucks. Now that being said, I have learned my lesson and now own a Dodge 2500 with a cummins diesel. It will be my last truck. I can't see ever needing anything more than this. I traded my hemi for it and have been very happy with the choice. My Hemi struggled with my enclosed trailer and got 5 to 7 MPG. I now get 17 to 20, pulling twice as much weight. The fact is, that Cummins actually pulls better heavy than when empty.
I just went to the store and had some kid in a chevy z71 pull up along side of me at a light and wanted to race my kids like race him so the light turns green and he gets the jump on me till the Turbo kicked in and i walked by him it was funny. oh yeah i got 3500 ram cummins. i dont believe chevy duramaxs have a thing over cummins yep they have a little more HP...but look at what the guys who make a living hauling with there trucks use Dodge for the most part...cummins hold up better. and TOYotas are not even trucks...there more like 4x4 cars.

gonna be doins some mods to the truck in spring Smarty sr tuner,cold air intake and a set of gauges...that will make some power.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

Toyota definitely has a ways to go when it comes to building a full size 4x4 truck. It's something completely new to them and they're just not there yet. They're having severe corrosion issues with the frames and undercarriage. Of course Ford, GM and Dodge have been building them for decades and they still can't build one which doesn't rust at the rear wheel wells, cab corners and rocker panels.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never got more than 10mpg towing any real weight with a cummins 5.9l or ford 6.0l. Never got over 8 pulling with the 7.3l diesel. I'd love to know the secret. Course I've gotten anywhere from 5-8mpg with the gassers but a gas is better for lighter loads. Pulling a flatbed and small boat, I've gotten 18mpg before out of my 5.4l ford. I can't get that empty out of my 6.0l. I might have squeezed it out of the cummins but it was 2wd and 6 inches shorter.

Also, I owned a 2000 Tacoma 2.7 4x4. It's nice for a 4 cylinder but still underpowered and it was the most uncomfortable truck I've ever owned.

ps - Only thing wrong with the cummins is it has a dodge wrapped around it.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Raptorlegs
Never got more than 10mpg towing any real weight with a cummins 5.9l or ford 6.0l. Never got over 8 pulling with the 7.3l diesel. I'd love to know the secret. Course I've gotten anywhere from 5-8mpg with the gassers but a gas is better for lighter loads. Pulling a flatbed and small boat, I've gotten 18mpg before out of my 5.4l ford. I can't get that empty out of my 6.0l. I might have squeezed it out of the cummins but it was 2wd and 6 inches shorter.

Also, I owned a 2000 Tacoma 2.7 4x4. It's nice for a 4 cylinder but still underpowered and it was the most uncomfortable truck I've ever owned.

ps - Only thing wrong with the cummins is it has a dodge wrapped around it.
we dont buy dodge to get the truck we do it to get the cummins, really nothing wrong with dodge trucks. atleast i like mine quite the upgrade from what i had . guess the reason i like the dodge is its big, sits high (not like chevys) it feels like a truck unlike my buddies silverado dmax it seems small. to bad ford cant get a decent diesel in there trucks. I pulled my 20ft enclosed with 3 atvs and got 13 mpg kept the cruise at 65 and the highway was pretty flat..im ok with that. not towing and staying off the gas peddle i got 18 mpg that was the best.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

I'll never buy dodge again. The interior materials are pure crap both of mine had electrical problems within 3 years. They also offer warranties that they don't have the man power to cover...at least around here.

Stock, the cummins runs stronger than the powerstroke but I still wouldn't trade mine. Besides, after a mild tune mine will run circles around a stock cummins. Plenty of power for just about anything.

I agree about the d-max sitting low but I guess that's how they get that class leading gas mileage.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If I were in the market today for a 1/2 ton, it would either be the avalanche or F150.
Is the Avalanche a truck or a big SUV? My friend borrows my F-150 Reg cab when he needs building supplies or a yard of gravel/dirt, His Yamaha 540 VK Snowmobile will not fit in the back of his.

To me trucks cater to the comfort of the rear passenger more then to the rear cargo box now. I want my ATV to fit with room to spare with the tail gate up. I don't care about the passenger leg room. LOL

Here are two same make trucks but one is useful and the other is a oversized car.

I swear it looks like the passenger gets a larger longer door then even the driver on some of them,then they stick a useless 4ft box on the back.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Raptorlegs
I'll never buy dodge again. The interior materials are pure crap both of mine had electrical problems within 3 years. They also offer warranties that they don't have the man power to cover...at least around here.

Stock, the cummins runs stronger than the powerstroke but I still wouldn't trade mine. Besides, after a mild tune mine will run circles around a stock cummins. Plenty of power for just about anything.

I agree about the d-max sitting low but I guess that's how they get that class leading gas mileage.
what? warranties they dont have the manpower to cover? ford had to sue the maker of Powerstroke because of so many problems International wouldnt back there motors, 7.3 PS is a decent motor but the 6.0 was and is the biggest P.O.S ever built! you read about the problems with the new ford P.S motors going with under 5 K on them? all trucks will have problems....but Ford PS will leave you stranded! better get AAA. cummins has had the same basic design forever why? it works! ford has always rushed there PS to market before they new what they had and all the problems have showed that.

I was first looking at Fords...but just read way to much negatives the 6.0 really scared the heck out me, i like the duramaxs but dont like the chevy truck...so if a cummins was in a ford chassis it would of been tops on the list but settled for a dodge, nothing like the sound of a cummins running straight pipe.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:51 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Only vehicles I've ever been stranded in were built by Chrysler. I had a dodge sit on the lot for over a week just to be told I had a bad battery. Computer went out, locks quit working, radio quit qorking, 2 condenser fans, multiple fuses and a new taillight bulb every 3 months, not to mention the cracked plastics. Yes sir, they are backed up and lack the manpower to service all the crap they sell. Should I mention the lifetime oil chages...just be sure to drop it off and they'll have it back the next day. It's BS.

The 6.0l got a bad rep in 2003 because of the headgasket issue but it was fixed by 2005. Rushed? That 6.0L had been a rock solid engine used in commercial international trucks for years. Ford reported they had fewer late model 6.0l's
coming back for warranty work than they ever did the 7.3l. 35,000 miles and ZERO problems on mine...ok, so I did replace a taillight bulb but that's a whole lot better than I can say for any Chrysler product I've ever owned.

Like I said, only thing wrong with cummins is it has a dodge wrapped around it...and I guess Dodge made the tranny.

Quick Reply: Help me decide what truck to get