Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more power - Hypertech???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more power - Hypertech???

Hi, I have a 2001 3/4 Suburban with the 6000 Vortex. I'll be pulling close to 3000 lbs of ATVs this season, many of the miles will be going up mountains. Does anyone have any experience with Hypertech, or any of the other products that allow you to tweak the ECM? I'm also thinking about upgrading to a 4.10 rear but would prefer not to go this route.
In theory the Hypertech tool sounds like a great idea but not certain how it would work in "the real world." Thanks.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Range Rover

i had a hyperteck programer on my 03 dodge hemi it did what it was saposed to but in my opinion it wasnt worth the cash i got beter performance and mph in town when i put in 4.56 gears and it would pull hard . but i hear those 6.0s in a chev really wake up with a programer

Old 02-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

dont really think you will notice that much difference, gearing like above might be better, cant believe with pulling 3 k its that bad in the hills...might be time for a deisel truck, i just got a cummins and cant believe the differenc in towing a trailer it is..kinda nice going up a good size hill pulling a 20 ft enclosed and it gains speed.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Range Rover

Don't waste your money on a hypertech programmer or any other hand held programmer. Most of them do next to nothing on gasoline engines. I had a hypertech for my 04 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 and the only thing it did was cause the engine to ping due to poor spark table tuning. Next I tried a custom tuned PCM from Westers Garage and it was better than the hypertech but still not quite what I wanted. Finally I ended up buying HP Tuners tuning software and a wideband oxygen sensor and did my own tuning and it made a noticeable difference over stock. The truck is fun to drive, gets 2 to 3 mpg better than stock and helps with towing due to increased power and adjustment made to the transmission settings. If you don't have a good understanding how the PCM controls the engine and trans your best bet would to be to go with a customed tuned PCM. I have heard good things about Black Bear Performance. You can find out more about them at their website Black Bear Performance :: Custom Tuning Solutions for 96 and newer GM Vehicles and at www.performancetrucks.net