Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who uses a winch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the need it and not have it have it and not need it. As far as the weight I wouldn't think it would an issue I have a 900 lb snowplow bouncing 4ft out in front of the truck throughout the winter. I have one but not permanently mounted because of the plow. It fits in the reciever or two big clevises and straps to hook the front d rings. Never needed it to get me out but had to pull my skidloader out with it. I only bought an 8000lb winch but have a 12 ton snatck bock in the tool box as well.

Kinda like you said, I usually don't take my truck to places I shouldn't that is why I bought a atv. But it is nice to have.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I find its easier for the ATVs that are not stuck to throw out a winch line to the stuck ATV rather then the stuck ATV to throw them a winch line.

My Winch warn winch fried awhile back, but I seldom ride alone or get stuck so I never replaced it.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

If anyone ever has any questions about our winches, feel free to ask me.

- Andy

Old 06-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well sir, I don't want to sound like a sales pitch, but mine is a warn, and I swear by it. I just went through a winter with my warn plw on front too. And got some use out of it. My only complaint is with the auto rotator. Your installation instructions leave a little on the table so to speak. Not happy with them. But figured it all out on my own. My most recent escapade was moving a 20 inch diameter x 8 foot log with my 2500. Piece of cake. ALso did something stupid because I was tired, and almost rolled the machine down a steep embankment. No problemo. Had number 2 son quickly pull the cable out and hook to my Ram truck, and winched myself back to safety. I would have lost the machine for sure without the winch. It saved not only my life, but my precious Rubicon. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I always have a winch on my backcountry exploring rig, whether its my ATV,

or my truck,

or my Jeep.
Name:  IMG_0670.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  155.0 KB

I know you are always supposed to go into the backcountry with more than one vehicle, but unfortunately, I end up going by myself all too frequently. Having a winch can make the difference between driving back, or walking back (or not getting back). If you're buying a winch, buy one that you KNOW is going to work as intended, anytime, anywhere. I've owned dozens of winches in my life; one was an off brand (it broke); all the rest have been Warn winches. I think this is one area where you really do get what you pay for.

Having a winch does not give you a free pass to do anything you want though. You still need to use your head. If you come to an area in the trail where you might not make it across, you not only need a winch, there needs to be something to hook the winch to. If you're in the middle of nowhere and there is nothing to hook your winch to, it still may be better to turn back and perhaps try again another day.