Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Silverado HD

Old 05-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Silverado HD

I've looked at the improvements on the 2011 HD series Silverado's due out this summer, and I like what I see. I am a bit chevy bias, raised in a chevy family, but I like to follow chevy's newest quote, "May the best truck win." The new 2011 Ford super-duty is also pretty decent, but I really like the improved 6.6 duramax / allison 1000 combo, now with exhaust breaking system.

2011 Silverado HD Truck | Pickup | Chevrolet.com

Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 Words (Urea Injection) is what I dont like!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

Urea or carbamide is an organic compound with the chemical formula (NH2)2CO. The molecule has two amine (-NH2) residues joined by a carbonyl (-CO-) functional group.
Urea serves an important role in the metabolism of nitrogen-containing compounds by animals and is the main nitrogen-containing substance in the urine of mammals.

Urea is used in SNCR and SCR reactions to reduce the NOx pollutants in exhaust gases from combustion, for example, from power plants and diesel engines. For diesel engines, this is called diesel particulate filter regeneration. The BlueTec system, for example, injects water-based urea solution into the exhaust system. The ammonia produced by decomposition of the urea reacts with the nitrogen oxide emissions and is converted into nitrogen and water within the catalytic converter.
Attended some I-Car classes this year and it was explained that you will have to have a seperate tank for the Urea. All new Diesels will be required to have this change courtesy of the Federal Govt. Did a little reading and this new system will add about 10k to the cost of a Big rig.
If anyone is looking to invest some money maybe this is something to look at. All Trucks 2010 and newer have to have this system and by 2015 it will cover just about everything Diesel. (except for the military ha ha)

The Highlighted info was taken from Wiki...

Old 05-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by King Quad
Urea or carbamide is an organic compound with the chemical formula (NH2)2CO. The molecule has two amine (-NH2) residues joined by a carbonyl (-CO-) functional group.
Urea serves an important role in the metabolism of nitrogen-containing compounds by animals and is the main nitrogen-containing substance in the urine of mammals.

Urea is used in SNCR and SCR reactions to reduce the NOx pollutants in exhaust gases from combustion, for example, from power plants and diesel engines. For diesel engines, this is called diesel particulate filter regeneration. The BlueTec system, for example, injects water-based urea solution into the exhaust system. The ammonia produced by decomposition of the urea reacts with the nitrogen oxide emissions and is converted into nitrogen and water within the catalytic converter.
Attended some I-Car classes this year and it was explained that you will have to have a seperate tank for the Urea. All new Diesels will be required to have this change courtesy of the Federal Govt. Did a little reading and this new system will add about 10k to the cost of a Big rig.
If anyone is looking to invest some money maybe this is something to look at. All Trucks 2010 and newer have to have this system and by 2015 it will cover just about everything Diesel. (except for the military ha ha)

The Highlighted info was taken from Wiki...

2010 Dodge Cummins 2500 and 3500 trucks also do not use Urea in there trucks!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

"2010 Dodge Cummins 2500 and 3500 trucks also do not use Urea in there trucks! "

diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) injection based on urea injection Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) technology.
Looks Like they got around the 2010.5 Federal mandate.
Thanks learned somthing new.
If this technology exists I retract my statement that Urea may be something to look into.... Why retrofit the refueling industry when there is technology available? I guess the next few years will tell the tale of the tape.
Intresting reading - 2010 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickup truck news

Old 05-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Having had more than a few different manufacturers of trucks, it seems that they all are going to advertise that they have the newest and best technology. Hey, it's advertising and you never will see one that says "Ours is the newest and best out there, but.."

What will be interesting with all the federal mandated changes (to me anyway) is how this will affect all manufacturers engine longevity. Sure they're going to eventually get some great mileage, but at what expense? Are the days of routine maintenance going to be replaced by routine computer failure and routine trips to the dealer for repairs the average person can't do, let alone afford?

Like I said, the next few years are going to be interesting, regardless of who builds it.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 PM
PCL
Weekend Warrior

dodge uses a special alloy in their cats. hate to replace one of those $$$$. I know they use urea injection on detroit diesel generators and its huge money. the teir II generators the epa mandates uses at least three times the fuel. so better to use up an unrenewable resource than pollute the air I guess. I rather have the urea injection than get 10 mpg with a diesel truck.