Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urea injected new dielels..wtf

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Urea injected new dielels..wtf

So I read a lil about the urea injected new diesels...super clean emissions blah blah blah.. costs anywhere from 3-8 bucks a gallon to fill the 7 gallon urea tank up every 10k miles or so...then if you let it run empty it won't start !!!so what would keep someone from just filling it with water..or peeing in it ? (lol) thats urea isn't it?

Anyone out there have one of these trucks ?
Not that I want to pay the $50k+ for a new diesel pick up truck but that sure makes me think about buying a used one even more than a new one.

(and I am kinda in the market for upgrading my truck as my extended cab isnt gonna hold my boys for too much longer as they continue to get taller )

Old 05-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't have one of them trucks, NOR will i ever get one. i'll rebuild my 7.3L before i deal with urea.
now a buddy of mine bought one and it already had a glitch in the programming. he got an alarm saying the level was low and was about to shut the truck down. after it alarmed a couple of times, the dealership finally reprogrammed it and now it's doing fine. BUT i won't own one.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If I remember right the Cummins diesel in the Dodge trucks is the only one that runs clean enough to not need urea injection.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
If I remember right the Cummins diesel in the Dodge trucks is the only one that runs clean enough to not need urea injection.
You know it wasn't long ago if a guy was not towing REALLY heavy loads he could still justify to himself opting up to the diesel option because of the increased fuel economy and service life. With the horsepower wars the fuel economy in the gutter anymore, plus reliability is questionable compared to older models. This urea wrinkle is just another hassle associated with the guy contemplating buying up to the diesel truck for the hell of it. Just a though.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jaster94
i don't have one of them trucks, NOR will i ever get one. i'll rebuild my 7.3L before i deal with urea.
now a buddy of mine bought one and it already had a glitch in the programming. he got an alarm saying the level was low and was about to shut the truck down. after it alarmed a couple of times, the dealership finally reprogrammed it and now it's doing fine. BUT i won't own one.

agreed... except id rebuild my 6bt

Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Pro Rider

Currently i have a 2011 ford super duty with the 6.7, yes it uses urine injection and no i wasnt exciteded about it at first!
My previous super duty with the 6.4 also had a DPF and like the cummins would inject diesel to burn off the soot in the DPF. I used to get horrible fuel mileage, about 14.5 mpg highway. Then all that crap fell off and my truck ran a tuner for the remainder of its 100k mile life with me. I would average 17.6mpg after the delete, this is why most cummins owner also do a delete.
I didnt trade the 6.4 in for any reason other than needing a full crew cab, so with that said i am now in a 6.7 super duty that uses urine injection rather than robbing from the fuel tank.
I work in The boston area and use my truck for my 146 mile daily commutte, i average about 4k miles a month. Monthly oil changes, at each oil change i add about 2.5 gallons of dpf fluid. This fluid i have found to be the cheapest at NAPA, 2.5 gallon jugs for $10. The truck runs super clean, no soot, no smell, almost like it isnt diesel!
If you do run the truck low on DPF it will first tell you at 1/2 tank, then at 1/4 , then supposedly at 500 miles till empty. I have heard at 50 miles till empty it will go into limp mode and you cant go over 50mph. Really there is no excuse for running that low other than being lazy.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

What do you get with your 2011 superduty. I think I will be getting a new superduty in a few years. I think I will get a diesel again, I usually drive my truck only when I am plowing or pulling. It is nice to have the power when you need it. Just curious what your real world mileage was. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Pro Rider

6.7 gets about 17mpg average during my daily commute of 146 miles in/out of Boston, my average speed is 12mph or 75mph....boston traffic.
I currently have 26k miles and love the truck and will be leaving it stock. Yes with the DPF you must plan ahead and make certain you always have some on hand for long trips, i typically pay $10-$12 for 2.5 gallons, but on a recent trip forgot to fill th etank and had to purchase some from a rest stop on the highway for $26 for the same container.

if your not towing over 10k and want to save some $$ i would also check out the new 6.2 gasser, it has some power and i am certain with the right gearing behind the 6speed it will do fine for plowing.

I am not a ford lover and have had many other brands, but so far this has been my best truck.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Range Rover

My friend has a 6.2 in his 250 he averages about 10 to 11 mpg. I tow my skidloader alot and also pull a big trailer full of firewood as I a have an outdoor wood boiler. I agree the 6.2 is a big improvement over the triton motors but I don't think I can give up the diesel.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

here's pic's of my 2011 duramax. it uses def. and get's around 14.5 to 15.2 mpg. it's got all the power i need & it goes good!

Name:  ATVbLargeWebview.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  2011DURAMAX1-1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  DURAMAX4.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  59.8 KB

here's a pic of the same trailer on my old truck

Name:  atvlogloadertrip003.jpg
Views: 145