Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 suburban with 3.42 gears...towing ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tow/haul button simply removes Overdrive from the equation....and my 99 trans shifter has "1,2,3,OD" listed on the shifter...so you would simply go to "3" instead of OD...same result as tow/haul engaged.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Manual says when towing heavier stuff do not use Overdrive or Criuse Control. Just suck up the gas milage loss for that trip.
Typically that is what I would do. However, from Northern California to Las Vegas once I get past Reno is just flat boring roads and towing in OD worked fine for me. I did shift down to third anytime I did go up a hill though or while going through towns.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't think that you will have any issues, but if would be worth the money to install a tranny cooler. The 700r4 is not one of chevrolet's greatest accomplishments.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The trailering pkg that I have on mine came with the heavier suspension, frame hitch,harness for electric brakes(that I've never used),transmission oil cooler,plus limited slip rear diff. Still have the old window sticker in the glove box and just looked. Showed $285 msrp for this option way back in 2000. Probably a heck of lot more now. Gotta keep it running can't afford 40-45 thousand for a new truck.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:02 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
The trailering pkg that I have on mine came with the heavier suspension, frame hitch,harness for electric brakes(that I've never used),transmission oil cooler,plus limited slip rear diff. Still have the old window sticker in the glove box and just looked. Showed $285 msrp for this option way back in 2000. Probably a heck of lot more now. Gotta keep it running can't afford 40-45 thousand for a new truck.
amen to that! the sticker on my loaded super-crew lariat was $48k !!!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that's expensive! You can get a nice 4x4 Silverado with trailering package $15,000 cheaper than that.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:09 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Wow, that's expensive! You can get a nice 4x4 Silverado with trailering package $15,000 cheaper than that.
I'm not a fan of any of the chevy / gmc models- I think they are ugly as hell, inside & out. I think ford nailed the perfect looking truck; 2004 - 2008 models look awesome, and the 09+ models even better. plus- I have a lot of factory installed features $$ (in dash nav, dvd system, rear back up camera, heated leather, power rear slider, power pedals, factory in-dash mp3 / video media center...)

I have 2 kids (maybe a 3rd soon) and I like driving in comfort with my toys-

Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider

im not brand specific, i shopped all when i bought 2011 ford super duty. I can tell you it is hard to find a moderatly appointed crew cab truck, they are either loaded or stripped and ready for a company.
I did buy mine as a leftover when ford had $10k rebates plus 0% for 60 months, i managed to pay $47k for a $62k truck. You really have to shop around and be prepared to wait for the right deal.

BTW...they are all similiar in priced when equaily equipped, ram was slightly cheaper and i almost went that route but decided against a dually as my truck is a daily driver in/out of the city.

OP...locking out OD was what i used to do on my older trucks, unless i was towing something really light like a jet ski...newr trucks have tow/haul which changes the shift pattern and holds the lower gears longer.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by 1eep
I can tell you it is hard to find a moderately appointed crew cab truck, they are either loaded or stripped and ready for a company.

BTW...they are all similar in priced when equally equipped, ram was slightly cheaper and i almost went that route but decided against a dually as my truck is a daily driver in/out of the city.

OP...locking out OD was what i used to do on my older trucks, unless i was towing something really light like a jet ski...newr trucks have tow/haul which changes the shift pattern and holds the lower gears longer.

I think all the major brand full sized trucks (chevy, GMC, ford, dodge, toyota & nissan) will pull / haul pretty much the same, give or take a little- it all comes down to ergonomics and ride quality to me. I test rode the dodge mega-cab & the chevy silverado- and the nissan. The last truck I test drove was the ford- and I fell in love with that truckk on the test drive.
the dodge had the most cab room, with reclining rear seats! but the gas mileage was dismal and the ride was stiff. The nissan dash didn't appeal to me- all plastic and not very many options for the price range- but it had a very quick engine and the gas & brake was super responsive. I spent 1 minute in the silverado and I just wasn't feeling it. looked too utility feeling, and just not visually appealing to me. same old cheap feeling dash controls and I couldn't find a single one with in dash nav- which is an absolute must have for me.
The F150 interior was amazing. woodgrain and leather wrapped dash- digital controls, plush leather seats, nav and the power options blew away the competition in that price range. Cab not as spacious as the dodge mega-cab but not as small as the nissan & the chevy. it was very smooth and comfortable on the road. Not as much pep as the nissan, but way better gas mileage than the dodge. came factory equipped with the towing package & factory installed electronic 5th brake. It'll tow anything I have and fit my family- and get 19 mpg hw.

I'm an option-junkie... comparing the dash of the 08 silverado and my 08 f150 - same price range (or what was available around me in that price range)

Attached Thumbnails 99 suburban with 3.42 gears...towing ??-2008-silverado.jpg   99 suburban with 3.42 gears...towing ??-img_1664.jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

Dodge mega cab 1500 is built on a 2500 platform, so it wont ride as nice as some other 1500's. Sadly it used to have the lowest payload of any truck, its more of a people hauler.

BG our trucks have similiar intreriors, you just missing things like the upfitter switches and built in brake controller. I do love the nav with sync, it works well, but my complaint is the sound quality could have been better...hey ford how about some real speakers!

Quick Reply: 99 suburban with 3.42 gears...towing ??