Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Question

Old 07-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance Question

Question for y'all who know trucks better than I (pretty much everyone).

Assuming similar values, options, body styles, etc... Would an F450 be priced significantly higher than an F250 or F350? Or would the heavier truck cost more due to it being rated as a "commercial" vehicle even thought it's only used for personal use?

Also - would a dual rear wheel truck have higher insurance costs as compared to a single rear wheel?

Thanks for your advice.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all going to depend on the laws in your state, the rules set up by your insurance company, the desired coverage level your age and your driving record.
I know here in NC, I just added a Firebird to my policy for my son, and was discussing this with my insurance agent. I thought I was saving money by getting the V6, but my agent told me that since the car only has liability coverage, the premium is based on vehicle weight.

Unless someone on the forum is an insurance agent in your state, I think your best bet would be to ask someone local to you.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

i can tell you in ma a 250 and 350 are the same price. BUT if you register it for commercial and carry proper insurnace then the price goes way up as they assume anyone could be driving the truck.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

You will usually be charged higher rates for a commercial vehicle. Depending on the state an F350 with single rear wheels might be considered a non-commercial vehicle while a truck with dual rear wheels would be considered commercial even though it might not be used that way. Friend has a GM with the Duramax diesel and dual rear wheels. He gets hit with higher fees for just about everything. Toll booths on highways, state inspections, insurance, etc.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

no doubt about the dually, my father gets hit garder on everything with his daully, tolls, insurance and reg. This has been the big reason i have stayed with a SRW truck, not to mention i dont really need a dually or want the added cost of 2 extra tires.

As for state inspections, in Ma 10k to 14k pay the same $60 for a yearly inspection while under 10k pounds only pay $30. This is a total screwing since the inspections are no differnet, but good luck battling the state over $30.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Update - My Dad bought a DRW F350 and claims it as a farm truck. Insurance is very low on a farm vehicle...

Old 09-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Where i live as u go up in weight class the price for insurance goes up. Once you get into the 350's and above you no longer get replacement coverage as anything 350 and above is considered commercial... Kinda stupid if you ask me as everyone i know that uses a truck for business runs a 1/2 or 3/4 ton and the people using them for personal use pulling campers and such are the ones buying the 1 ton and up..

Old 09-24-2017, 01:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Zrock
Where i live as u go up in weight class the price for insurance goes up. Once you get into the 350's and above you no longer get replacement coverage as anything 350 and above is considered commercial... Kinda stupid if you ask me as everyone i know that uses a truck for business runs a 1/2 or 3/4 ton and the people using them for personal use pulling campers and such are the ones buying the 1 ton and up..

I don't think that's true. I can't imagine people would be spending $70 or $80 thousand on a new truck that they couldn't get replacement on.... And even commercial trucks get replacement insurance.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Remember Their is a big difference between replacement value insurance and insured value.. also if u look into some of these big company's they are insured for liability only.. No insurance on rig as most times it's cheaper to pay out of pocket for repairs or new truck compared to insurance premiums for accident insurance... just as a example for us to move modular homes each move is $5 to $10g per trip per home....

Old 09-24-2017, 03:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Nope. Still not buying it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Insurance Question