Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Sunk Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 02:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunk Rubicon

My Rubicon fell though some ice today and went almost all the way under water on its side. After lots of fun swimming and winching we got it out. Water was pouring out of the exhaust and air box. After I got all the water out of the piston it started but didn’t run good because I think it has water in the gas but I was able to drive it back.

What should I do (like change oil, ect.) to make it ok to ride. And because the Rubicon has that crazy transmission does it need any special oil?

Old 02-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sunk Rubicon

I did the same thing with my Suzuki and I had to pull the plug out of the back of the exhaust and tip it up for awhile. I thought I had all the water out when we tipped it up but the bolt/plug had to come out. It ran great after that. I also removed the plug wire and put some dielectric grease in the boot to help against moisture. Did you reoil your airfilter after you rang it out(my suzuki filter took alittle oil to help it collect dust, don't know if you do it on the Rubicon , check your service manual. Other then what you are doing I can not think of anything. The manual should tell you what oil to use, unless of course it was in the quad when you sank it, then you might not be able to read it. AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Sunk Rubicon

I would personally change all fluids. That includes diferential, engine/tranny and gas. I would also check the brake fluid, but it's a sealed system and should be ok.

Old 03-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Sunk Rubicon

I would at least check all the fluids to see if they look cloudy. You will probably have to change the oil at three times before all the water is out. Clean and re-oil the air filter.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sunk Rubicon

We sunk a 450 S yesterday. After we got it out and to the river bank we tipped it up and got all the water out of the exhaust, then took the spark plug out and turned it over to expell the water. After putting the plug back in we were away for another 40km. With the other three quads we dragged them across in gear, high revs, manually with rope, and pushing thru 1m fast flowing water. They all got across alright.
We are going to change oil etc, just to be sure.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sunk Rubicon

If she was deep enuf to fill up with water then you better change yer fluids. My brother 450 Foreman took 10 oil changes to run clean ( but I think he overdid it). Iff all yer breather hoses were under that would prolly put water everywhere.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sunk Rubicon

if it was under for long enought to get water in the oil then it might take several oil changes to get the water out. change it run it for a few seconds to get the water to mix then change it again. buy oil in bulk

Old 05-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sunk Rubicon

I have sunk my Rubicon more times that I care to count. I do definetly buy oil in bulk. I have found that occasionally it seems to get a little water in the carb or fuel system somewhere. Sometimes just riding it a bit will get the water through and other times I have used a SMALL amount of an isopropol alcohol treatment to fix "dry out" the fuel system. Hope this helps.