Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Twin vs Single

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin vs Single

its the xr250, i just call it the 250r for spiffy ness among my friends, they call it that too, got used to calling it that so i just stuck it in my sig like that

Old 11-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Range Rover
Default Twin vs Single

Originally posted by: spyder6
The Twin motors produce alot, and I mean alot more torque than a single. They make about the same ammound of horsepower or more then a single cylinder of that size. Polaris uses the even firing twin which produces abot 30% more torque than the Kawi's V-twin, but the V-Twin produces more horsepower, so its all about what you need. V-Twins and Even Firing Twins use alot more parts, double of a single cylinder so theres double the chance something might break, but dont let that deture you from getting a Twin Cylinder.

Polaris - Even Fireing twin w/ 2 valve pushrod technology, simple, less mechanics, lower top of the engine, lower center of gravity for the whole machine.

Kawasaki - V-Twin w/ 4 valve SOHC, dependable, mid-performance, high center of gravity

Suzuki - Single Cylinder/ 4 Valve DOHC, dependable, high-performance, high center of gravity

Basicly look at the polaris as a Jeep Rubicon, one hell of an offroad machine that will go anywere and get you back, take a look at the Kawasaki as a toyota tundra with a lift kit and fat tires, nice speedy rice burner [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] thats a little tipsey, but will go anywere and get you back. Then look at the suzuki as a john deere tractor, it just sucks... lol, just playing, look at the suzuki as a Saturn V rocket, damn fast

Have you ever ridden anything with the Kawi VTwin in it? I know my P700 has gobs of horse power, loads of torque, never feels tippy, and zero vibration. I have only ridden 1 SP700 and the power wasn't anywhere close to the Kawis.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

i didnt say that any of them were the best, and yes i have ridden a brute force, and i can say its a nice engine with alot of horsepower, but i personaly like more torque then horsepower

Old 11-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Twin vs Single

I agree with spyder.I like torque better than hp.i live in the south and torgu definetly gets you more satisfaction.of course you have to have a good amount of hp for good torque.

Old 11-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Range Rover
Default Twin vs Single

Can anyone find published torque ratings for these big bores?

Old 12-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin vs Single

[quote]
Originally posted by: spyder6
The Twin motors produce alot, and I mean alot more torque than a single. They make about the same ammound of horsepower or more then a single cylinder of that size. Polaris uses the even firing twin which produces abot 30% more torque than the Kawi's V-twin, but the V-Twin produces more horsepower, so its all about what you need. V-Twins and Even Firing Twins use alot more parts, double of a single cylinder so theres double the chance something might break, but dont let that deture you from getting a Twin Cylinder.

I agree with you for the most part, but the polaris twin does not make 30% more torque than the kawa v-twin. Go to highlifter.com and check out the independent dyno test of stock motors and you will see that the kawa does produce more HP and it also does produce slightly more torque. The polaris might produce more low end torque, but total torque and and even power/torque ban is what a v-twin gives you. That is not to say the polaris parallel twin is bad. It is very very good. But you stated something that is not facts.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twin vs Single

The suzuki 700 single seems to be the best overall single but IMO the Kawi v-twin is the best motor on the market. (not comparing carb vs EFI) If Bombardier comes out with their 800cc EFI twin then Kawi will be on the silver platform.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

Originally posted by: tguil
"....Then look at the suzuki as a john deere tractor, it just sucks... lol......" Careful -- I consider my John Deere 1070 (40 hp, four cylinder diesel, 4WD) the ultimate utility ATV. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Tom [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

o cmon....we just use a JD 4055..... now its rebuilt its around 135 horse.....thats a utilty ATV

Old 12-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Twin vs Single

I could be wrong, but I would think the single would produce more torque then a twin engine. Look at the big John Deere tractors, they aren't 8 or 12 cylinders, they are 4. In the snowmobile world, the twin cylider machines have a lot more torque then the trippels.

I am not saying horsepower doesn't matter, but it is just a made up number based on torque.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twin vs Single

The four cylinders is because they are diesel engines. And diesels just naturally make gobs more tourque and often with less cylinders. Like the cummins diesel in the Dodge trucks.. they are all only 6 cylinders.

Koko

Quick Reply: Twin vs Single