Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Twin vs Single

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 04:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin vs Single

I'm new to the forum but, for what its worth, I just rode a new Suz. KingQuad 700 single and a new Kaw Prairie 700 V-twin at a dealership a few days ago. I took both up to about 40 MPH and did several hard turns at various speeds with each machine. Both had impressive power. The KingQuad was very nice overall but the Prairie twin was noticeably quicker in acceleration with superior throttle response. The Prairie seat height seemed slightly lower than the KingQuad and it also seemed less tipsy to me. The Kaw is factory rated at 44 ft-lbs. of torque (don't know anout the KingQuad) and I believe every pound of it is present. I bought the Prairie 700 twin and I'm a happy camper. It's a hot machine! Good luck.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:29 AM
Range Rover
Default Twin vs Single

My prairie's handle bars do not vibrate at all and my brothers SP700 vibrates considerably. That to me says a v-twin is inherantly smoother than any inline or single.

Old 12-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

It has been proven time and time again Kawi V Twins have more torque and hp than any other quad out there. Take a pol. 700 efi and a p700 or 650 for that fact, put them side by side in the mud with oversized tires on them see which one will turn the monster mudders easier, or on hard surface which pulls harder on acceleration ? To me thats torque. And the prairies and the new 650 bf still have the lowest center of gravity , I highly doubt that a kq 700 will out turn or slide either of these units.

Old 12-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

in general, no IRS will ever out slide a SRA. its like comparin my scrammy to a sportsman, its just no comparison, the scrambler will out maneuver the sportsman any day.

as for the ability to turn larger tires, that depends upon the transmisson. my dads sp700 was KILLED from 26in 589's in high range. on my kodiak, you barely noticed. thats a 400 vs 700...that 700 has more torque yet has more trouble turning the tires due to the polaris drive system. they devoloped it to be smoother, in other words, more rider friendly. it doesnt have the instant hit off the line like a prarie of grizzly. thats the drive system, not the motor.

Old 12-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twin vs Single

How much power is the KQ going to lose when one mounts 27 or 28" 589's? All of the pictures I have seen were of stock tires and any bike can turn Dunflops.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

I hear ya But regardless , the machines I mentioned , that statement holds true I agree the gearing and motor make the torque and thats where Kawi has the anvantage.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

Originally posted by: spyder6
Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: SaskKawiGuy
Why is the Kawi V-Twin have high centre of gravity when the seat hight for both KQ and p700 are with in an inch or so?
Actually the prairie has a much lower center of gravity than either the KQ or the BF. If you want to dispute this fact take the three machines of camber and when the KQ and BF roll I'll be on the prairie laughing.

BTW, I bet you probably arent the one who said the v twin had a high cog so this is aimed at the originator of the idea.
i didnt say the quad specificly, engines with camshafts are taller than the polaris engines because they use pushrods, therefor theres also more parts up there, a cam shaft, if not two, 4 or 5 valves, it adds up quickly, so the engines of these big bores are large and because there large the top of the engine is also high, so, the more weight at the top, the more top heavy/ high center of gravity you get. clear?
I have noticed you use this same logic in a lot of post around the forum but I have to think you have never seen or held a set of cams or valves in your hand. I didn't put them on a scale when we did my FST 800 motor but I can tell you they do not weigh very much at all nore will they have any real efect on the center of gravity on a 600+ pound quad. The center of gravity is effected much more by placement of a 5 gallon gas tank full of fuel on the quad not the placement of valves and cams. Comparing a brute force 750 IRS or Prairie 700 SRA both have there fuel tanks mounted below the seats where polaris mounts the tank above the motor. I am not knocking polaris for this I have one now and have had several over the years and am just wanting you to understand polaris is not the most stable quad out there nore does it have the best center of gravity it is just not true.