Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Honda Rubicon Or Yamaha Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rubicon Or Yamaha Grizzly

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]Well first off let me tell you I am just a little more than disgusted with Hondas
announcement yesterday of the changes in the Rincon. I want a new machine
and have now narrowed it down to the Rubicon or the Grizzly. I realize the size
is a little different, but for some work, and mostly riding in hilly brushy country
with not much mud. I am not fond of mud. I do like to go where I want while
hunting. What should it be the Rubi or the griz. And oh did problems ever
get solved wtih the KQ reverse situation, I thought that was a good qualifier
until they had there reverse situation...

Old 09-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

Reverse problems with the KingQuad are D-O-N-E. If you've thrown the King out of the mix because of the reverse issues, bring it right back in. For the same msrp as the Grizzly, I would honestly make that your machine because it's basically a Grizz on steroids in about every category and with EFI to boot.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Range Rover

Red Goblin
Thanks for that reply I tried out the 2005 KQ this spring and loved it. I lost interest in
it because of the post on how bad the reverse was. I saw it for about $400 less than
the Grizz. I want a new quad this fall, and was waiting to see what Honda was doing
with the Rincon. They have disappointed me for years never catching up with tech..
I will take another KQ for a ride..
Tnx agn[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

There will be people that will try to tell you otherwise about the KingQuad reverse. If so, let me know and I'll direct you to a conversation I had with a few people on a different forum that KNOW their stuff. I'm not trying to promote my machine, but if you're considering a Grizzly, then you pretty much HAVE to consider a King.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

Grizzly. Honda doesn't have a locking front differential.

Do a search back through the forums on the reverse problems. Just make sure you get one with a good VIN and you are all set. The good VIN numbers are here on the forums if you look. DO NOT buy one of the older ones the dealer still has in stock and DO NOT trust the dealer to tell you if the ATV you are looking at has the defective reverse gear. You have to check for yourself. If we're talking about older KQs that are still sitting at dealers then the reverse issue is far from dead even though there will be people who will try to tell you otherwise. If you aren't careful you could pick up one with the defective reverse gear.

Between the grizzly, rincon and KQ I would go with the KQ as long as it was one with a good VIN number.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I cant imagine two quads more unlike each other.
Anyway, the rubi will have lots and lots of low torque, will be more stable with the sra, and be more of a workhorse. If you had both on the trail, the rubi will be eating dust all day...it wont keep up with a grizz...anywhere. Ground clearance and suspension are the big reasons.
The grizz will want to rev, its just the nature of the cvt tranny, and will offer a better quality ride, but will feel alot tipier than the rubi, due to the irs.
The grizz has full differential lock, and in low range, is geared lower than the rubi. The grizz is rated for higher towing...but the rubi will pull as much, its just the braking that the rubi lacks for the higher tow rating.
Both should offer many years of trouble free use.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

Go with the KQ. I own a Grizzly that I just bought a year ago last December. This was before they solved the reverse problem on the KQ's. I ride with two guys that have one and man it's anice machine for the price. Don't get me wrong I love my Grizz but the KQ is a better Grizz for the price.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

go with either the kq or grizz. honda aint that good compared to them (no offense)

Old 09-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Which type of riding do you enjoy, downeaster?

Old 09-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Red Goblin
Well i am 63 this October, and just trail ride some but at slow speeds for the most
part. Most of my friends that ride with me are at least 55, so we aren't into speed or
mud. We all have hunting camps out in the woods, so it is fun to go to anothers camp
for a weekend and explore, and search for good stand locations, and check out
strip lots, left over from paper companies, slashing the timber. Big bucks love them
especially when the lots are about 3 years old. It seems everyone around me in Maine
has an atv but you never seem to encounter one another in the woods. There are a
lot of trails left over from timbering, but they are rocky and very rough. Its not a place
for fast trail riding. This new purchase will probably be my last so I want a machine
that will hold up and give me a decent ride. My old Honda 300 is getting to seem like
a rough ride. I sure have been wanting one with better brakes, a winch, locker,
and irs. We don't see mud here in Maine, but we do see water, a higher ground
clearance with floorboards would be nice. Oh I use it for ice fishing during the winter
too, the ponds freeze over and snow usually blows off most of the time, so you
can almost always ride on the lakes and ponds. I like it better for ice fishing, because
you don't make a lot of sled noise when you are approaching your tip up. I found
that sometimes sleds spook wary trout. Well thats pretty much how I use my machine.

Quick Reply: Honda Rubicon Or Yamaha Grizzly