Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Best ATV for Food Plot work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best ATV for Food Plot work?

My 500 AC auto is the best all around machine IMAHO. I have pulled some very heavy loads, to the point of the machine sliding sideways from tire spin, and have never slipped a belt. Low range is as low as I need to go; I only use it when loading it onto a truck or when getting a really heavy load moving. The engine break is great for down hill, and it will hit over 50mph, fast enough to get where I need to go. Shift on the fly push button 4x4 and auto trans is exactly what I wanted.

Old 11-20-2005, 05:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just a usless post to increase my number of posts. Or I just hit the submit button before I typed anything.

Old 11-20-2005, 05:07 AM
Pro Rider

If you get or have a belt driven quad EPI makes a clutch kit for quads that do heavy work. It's called the Utility series kit. I think it is the kit I will put in both my Grizzlies.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

For what you would pay for a wheeler you could get a excellent used tractor with all the goodies . Think about it

Shonk

Old 11-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Shonk,

You make a good point, but the tractor isn't as much fun when work is done and play time begins.

Just curious, how would the BRP Outlander perform? I got a video of it in the mail and they make it sound like it will out pull any quaud in it's class. Has anyone put it to the test?

Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

I have a small ranch (timber pasture garden) and the wheeler is great for light work and of course fun. When it comes to real work a wheeler just can’t cut it.
In the fall the wheeler is great for hauling firewood or skidding small logs.
When it comes to saw logs it’s the JD that get the call.
In the winter I have a mile to the paved county road living in snow country once again Mr. Deer. With our outrageous break-up in the spring same story I need a tractor to do the grading. In the summer even our small pasture is too much to ask for the AC 650. The small garden we’re talking the rotor-tiller.
Wheeler=fun
Tractor=work

Shonk

Old 11-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

New forman 500 manual shift. Bulett proof like the old 450 was, and now has disc brakes to boot. These bikes were made to work, but still are alot of fun too. Oil cooled with rad & fan as opposed to liquid so its one less system to worry about, I've never overheated mine towing heavy loads.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

another vote for the 500 manual arctic cat if you are going to be using it for riding also but if its just work get a tractor.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QUOTE from Theshonk: For what you would pay for a wheeler you could get a excellent used tractor with all the goodies

I agree, I have two; a Ford and a Deere. Some folks however, have neither the funds nor the space to allow for both a wheeler and a tractor. For some of my family and friends, they would also have to buy a heavier truck and trailer to haul it, or put up a building out on their hunting property where it would be virtually unsecured for long periods of time.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

I hear you DeeDawg after 28 years of marriage and 2 kids through college. This year was I able to get into wheelers. “Empty Nesters”

You be safe over there! I be praying for you and our troops

Shonk

Quick Reply: Best ATV for Food Plot work?