Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Best ATV for Food Plot work?

Old 11-30-2005, 05:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV for Food Plot work?

I have a Quest 650 from Bombardier and as a WORK atv, can find no faults with it. It has performed to my expectations.
The reason BRP, no longer sells this model under the BRP, logo is the fact that the Quest / Traxter line-up is really geared more towards a
true Utility atv. The Quest and Traxter atv's make terrible sport oriented riding atv's. Just aren't designed for that type of use but as a Utility atv, built like a Tank.
Being sold under the John Deer name but all else is still the same, no mods or internal changes. These atv's are also reasonably priced and can be picked on Ebay for a very fair
and AFFORDABLE price.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:58 AM
Range Rover

I wanted a box quad. I rode the John Deer Buck or Trail Buck or whatever it is, with the bed. I also rode a Polaris Sportsman 6X6 and the Polaris ATP. I ended up with the ATP.

The Bomb/JD is a very solid machine with a 600 lb payload capicity in the bed. But they are even heavier than Polaris bikes, and that's hard to do, they are slow and top heavy, and the step through designe reminds me of the scooters you see the old and infirm riding around Wal-Mart.

The Sportsman 6x6 is one bad *** work horse, My brother has an '97 Big Boss and the Sportsman 6x6 is just an upgraded version of that bike. It's heavy, but it'l outrun the JD with no problems and it doesn't feel nearly as top heavy. Carries 800lbs in the bed, tows 1500lbs SIX wheel drive. The bed is about 4' by 4" its big enough that you can get a lot of bulky gear and tools in it. I very nearly bought one, but settled on the ATP instead because it was more trail capable which is important too me.

The ATP is not the workhorse that the 6x6 but I didn't feel I needed that level of utility. It's got a smaller dump bed that will carry 400 lbs, it tows 1225 lbs with a built in 1 1/2 inch receiver and has a "turf" setting that basically unlocks the rear diff, this allows you to turn in a much smaller radius than your average quad plus you don't tear up your yard. Oh and it'l run 58 MPH on the GPS, and does great on the trails. The ATP has been discontinued for '06 in favor of the X2, which looks to be an ATP with IRS, EFI and you can pull off the dump bed and stick another seat on for 2 up riding.

Regards
Q

Old 12-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

TextThe Bomb/JD is a very solid machine with a 600 lb payload capicity in the bed. But they are even heavier than Polaris bikes, and that's hard to do, they are slow and top heavy, and the step through designe reminds me of the scooters you see the old and infirm riding around Wal-Mart.
Heavy yes, slow no. That weight is used to put the power to the ground. A light ATV will not put power to the ground as efficient as a heavy one.
Mine will do 58 to 60 depending on temp. The same or even faster than the ATP.
Top heavy? AAAAAAAAA no. That infirm step-through design puts almost 50lbs of fuel down low. The weight of this quad is set very low in the chassie.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here's a twist on my needs , what about the Kubota RTV 900? I can't translate the diesel #'s to compare to gasoliine cc's so I'm not sure of the power difference.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

QBall, I'm not sure what criteria you used to determine the Traxter is top heavy but from everything I checked before buying one I found the Traxter has a lower center of gravity and is more stable than any other ATV made with 4 tires. Of course I am assuming your talking about the Traxter which is the same as the JD Buck.

I haven't paid attention to what speed my Traxter will run but I have run along side several other brands including Polaris and I have never taken a back seat to any of them.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:36 AM
Range Rover

Hmmmm
Maybe a little bit of a retraction is in order. Went riding last weekend and one of the guys there was on a Traxter. This thread immediatly came to mind and I so we got to talking about it. After riding with and running along side him I think the ATP has a bit of an edge in acceleration with virtually no difference in top end. After looking closely at the bike I would have to say you guys are dead on with regards to the center of gravity being low. The thing just feels tippy, I guess because you don't have the tank to hold on too with your knees. He says his only gripe with the bike is it's a little light in the front end, I told him how to remedy that by filling the big front bucket up with ice and tasty beverages.

I'll still say though that for a true workhorse the only thing that beats a Sportsman 6x6 is a UTV, and not too many of those will outpull and out carry it.

Regards
Q

Old 05-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Regardless the manufacturer you ultimately choose, you should look at a selection which is liquid cooled and is 450cc or greater. The more power the better. To be able to finish all the prep and cultivation of your land, you will need to use a variety of attachments for your ATV/UTV.

Pizza Pos Software

Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Food Plots

Creating Deer Food Plots is more than just planting seed in an open area. The location of deer bedding areas and primary wind directions are an important factor in deciding where to plant them.

pizzarias

Old 07-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

This what you need

Attached Thumbnails Best ATV for Food Plot work?-th.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with everyone recommending the Traxter. It's a tough work horse, people hae even towed trucks with them. I never have a problem with it being slow, and there's a bag you can get that's made to sit on the step-through if people don't like the gap there.
With regards to trail riding and speed, I've never had any problem with it being slow. My friends have always been surprised that I can accelerate faster than they can, it doesn't disappoint speedwise either. I don't drive like a maniac so I wouldn't know but it goes 80 km/h without a problem. ;D