Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

LOCKING FRONT DIFF

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOCKING FRONT DIFF

Hello!

Great site here.

I'm planning on buying a new ATV here real soon (within the next three weeks). This will be my first ATV of my own, though I'm not unfamiliar with them. Growing up, I've ridden everything from the original Honda 90, up thru the 200X, 250R, and 350X, to Warriors and Banshees. Thing is, up 'til now I've been able to borrow one from family members when needed.

My riding will be pretty limited to riding around the hunting club, with some mild trail riding & mud running thrown in. No jumping or powerslides on the agenda, but the mud could get seat deep. I want a mid-size 4x4, auto or auto-clutch. I've pretty much narrowed it down, by reading through reviews on this site & based on dealers prices and local availability, to the following (with listed prices, before tt&l):

Kawasaki Prairie 360 ($4399), or the Suzuki Eiger 400 5-speed ($4499).

Now to the questions: How many of y'all with locking front diffs actually use this feature and how often? I understand that it's "nice to have", but, should I use this as a deal maker or deal breaker for a particular ATV? For my type of riding, do I "need" the diff lock?

For some reason, I keep getting pulled towards the Prairie. I think because of price and the fact that it has the variable front diff. The Eiger 5-speed is within $100, though, and most reviews have it as a noticeably more powerful machine, albeit without diff lock (or in this case auto). I've never had an auto so it's not like I'll be missing anything.

Thanks for any input.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The rear barke on the prairie is also much better than the one the eiger has.
If you ever plan on riding in snow, and it gets deep, youll need a locker in front. Seeing how youre in a warmer area, youre probably more interested in the mud. Youll find out, that the irs quads will do better in the mud, even with out a locker in front. Its all about ground clearance, and not getting hung up and high centered. Once that happens, a locker wont help. Neither of your choices has irs.
99% of the time, both of those quads can do the leading or following, and go where the other went. Driver ability has alot to do with how far you make it. The other 1% of the time the locker has the advantage.
The kawi system works really good, and is progressive, and can be applied on the move...no need to stop spinning to engage the locker. Id say it gets down to ...do you want an auto or gear shift. Kawi is auto only, and the eiger can be had with either. Both have different types of cvts. The eiger has a belt in constant tension, and its not a wear item. The engine braking is much better on the eiger too, and the case which sticks out on the side, is slimmer on the eiger.
Both have good motors, and are good choices...you cant really go wrong on either one.
my 2 cents

Old 09-24-2006, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Kawi will fit more on the utility side of ute, while the Eiger will tend to be more sporty. I narrowed my choice down to these same two and since I do mostly recreational riding, I went with the Eiger.

No doubt that having a front locker is better than not having one, but I've gotten stuck in mudholes like everyone else - I've also made it through mudholes where other bikes with a locker got stuck.

Ride them both and see how they feel to you - that's the biggest test.

Jaybee

Old 09-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The front locker is well worth it!! Ive used it a few times, and its a life saver. AC also has a midsize atv class, but kawi, and the others are good atvs also.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

The Yamaha Kodiak is a nice mid sized atv, Auto, liquid cooled, independant suspension (on the 450 model), diff lock(450 model). The Kodiaks are known for their great reliability, the Auto is run by a Yamaha belt system which is very relibale In my opinion, you will not need a belt change for a long time(years). The difflock on the 450 is good depending on what kind of terrain you will be riding on, I see that you said "mud running thrown in" I dont think you would need the difflock as much, but like you said the difflock is nice to have, and you will thank yourself for getting the difflock when your in a deep hole miles away from help. The Kodiak comes as a 400cc model(4wd, with NO difflock), or a 450(421cc) with difflcok and independant rear suspension(smoother ride over bumps). I would also look at a Kodiak if I were you.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I had mine narrowed down between the Eiger and the 450 Kodiak. The thing that made the difference to me was the Diff lock on the kodiak. That being said...how often are you going to encounter DEEP mud? If not often I think the Eiger would be best for you. If frequent, then maybe the Kodiak 450 is for you. Remember...it depends on your type of riding as much as it does the machine.
Buck

Old 09-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Went to the local Bass Pro Shops today & looked at the AC 400 4x4. Man that ground clearance is awesome. They're asking $5800, though, and won't negotiate the price.

Initially, most riding will be simply getting around the hunting club (2000 acres). This is my first year as a member, I haven't been stationed in Virginia in 10 years, and know practically nothing about anything West of Norfolk. As this is hunting season, no real playing. It may snow (South Central Virginia), but, I don't know how much. The trails are all pretty well kept (tobacco/soybean farm), and I'm not sure if there are any dedicated ATV trails on the land.

Even after hunting season, though, I don't honestly know how much or what kind of riding I'll be doing. Mostly still stay around the club.

I'd like to keep the price to below $5000 OTD, so I can pay cash & be done with it. Call me cheap if you will, I want the most bang for my buck.

I realize that I'll probably want a bigger machine in the future, and if I could afford one now I'd probably buy it instead. But, I can't. I really need (need - such a subjective word) one for this hunting season so I have to make my decision in the next week.

And the used market around here sucks!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: RickW
Went to the local Bass Pro Shops today & looked at the AC 400 4x4. Man that ground clearance is awesome. They're asking $5800, though, and won't negotiate the price.

Initially, most riding will be simply getting around the hunting club (2000 acres). This is my first year as a member, I haven't been stationed in Virginia in 10 years, and know practically nothing about anything West of Norfolk. As this is hunting season, no real playing. It may snow (South Central Virginia), but, I don't know how much. The trails are all pretty well kept (tobacco/soybean farm), and I'm not sure if there are any dedicated ATV trails on the land.

Even after hunting season, though, I don't honestly know how much or what kind of riding I'll be doing. Mostly still stay around the club.

I'd like to keep the price to below $5000 OTD, so I can pay cash & be done with it. Call me cheap if you will, I want the most bang for my buck.

I realize that I'll probably want a bigger machine in the future, and if I could afford one now I'd probably buy it instead. But, I can't. I really need (need - such a subjective word) one for this hunting season so I have to make my decision in the next week.

And the used market around here sucks!
If you don't need a locker, why not look at an '06 Honda Rancher 4X4. The '07 will be out soon and the dealers are selling the '06 Rancher way under list price.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think that's my problem - trying to decide whether I need a locker or not.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

It sounds like the Eiger is the machine for you if money is the main objective. They are a good machine at a great price. I think it would be hard for you to find a new machine with a locker at the price you're looking at. If you definitely want the locker maybe you should look around at used ATV's. There are some good deals out there.
Buck

Quick Reply: LOCKING FRONT DIFF