Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

99 polaris sportsman 500 stuck in awd

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 polaris sportsman 500 stuck in awd

hello like the title says my atv is stuck in awd well what happend i think is my battery died i pull started it ran great powered all up drove. It around block and all of a suden my speedometer went nuts and went from 10 to over 60 to the point its stuck on the trip needle. So i am like wtf at this point then my awd went on and now i cant get it out of awd i pulled it a part checking it my awd switch is dead but all of sudden it started working but it would not take it out of awd it started to light up turned it to the off position got nothing now the light is dead again. So am i going to need to buy a new speedometer i rather not spend 300 bucks for a used one my quad had one owner and only 1600 miles 230 hours never used is it bad to run these quads with a dead battery any help would be nice at this point i might just pull the drive shaft so i can run it in 2wd for now because going 40 in awd does not sound like its good for it thx guys any help would be nice.All so the speedometer still lights up and shows my miles hours only thing on the quad that does not light up at this point is the awd switch.all so have videos

Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

day time run

night time after playing with the shifter i got my awd light back on

Old 04-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Has to have battery voltage for awd to operate along with fan,etc. If you haven't changed the hub fluid in awhile I'd do this also.You might check the speedo hall effect sensor for any mud or dirt build up on the right front caliper.Item #40. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Not uncommon or this sensor to go out also. Here's one step that some have done on the awd system even with good battery voltage,but when awd was intermittent or not working properly.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

All right i will check it my hub gear oil is really bad like a dark gray so its time for a change and do u think that ground trick would work because my quad has the awd light. On after i played with the shifting linkage because it was not puting it all the way in gear so it would grind the gears so i put a stop to that fast now it puts them right in no issue.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Wouldn't hurt to have a more positive ground for the thin awd ground wires. Awd light may come on,but doesn't mean you have a good ground to the hub coils.Plus not a bad a idea to check with a test light or meter when in gear and awd mode that you have voltage at each gray wire in the small connectors under the front panel that lead to each hub.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok so i did the ground trick still nothing tested power going to the coils both have power so what do u think it could be starting to sound mechanical in the differential next thing i am going to do is change the hub oil and thank u for all ur help so far old polaris tech.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Problem wouldn't be in the diff as all it has is a ring and pinion gear for the most part. Problem would be in the hubs themselves as this is where the awd system is,"IF" you have a good battery now,voltage is present to the hub coils,good grounds and still have awd problems. Several things from armature plate,roll cages,worn bearings,etc can affect awd. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Plus best to have a manual that shows you areas to check out. Here's a pdf that you can look over.http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...0%20-%20SM.pdf

Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

so how would i no if any thing is shot in the front end some times when i ride only in awd when it did work fine if i was backing up it would pull to the left hard like i had to put a lot of love back in to it to get my wheels stright never understood why so should i jack the front end up and try to move it ?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Most common problem is the armature plates magnetizing over time causing the pulling to one side. About 8 bucks or so and not that hard to replace.Always do both sides! item#4. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Again down load the manual link I posted to show in detail along with several videos on this on You tube that can give you the basics.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

all right i plan on pulling it a part this saturday i pulled the fill plugs out on both hubs smells like some thingburnt i dont have polaris hub oil but i have napa premium gear oil 80w-85w-90 u think i could put that in to test it or to get me bye tell i spend 20 bucks on one quart? thx

Quick Reply: 99 polaris sportsman 500 stuck in awd