Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman 335 low top speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 335 low top speed

Hey all I'm new to the forum. I'll give you the full story with this quad. I bought it last year for cheap when the guy I bought it from said it had low psi, the oil light on and it won't go over 23mph. It idled fine but just had low power. Brought it home and checked it and it had about 50psi or so. I bought new rings and had the cylinder honed. I went out for it's first ride and it wouldn't go over 25mph (same as the guy told me). While on this outing, it sounded like the carb began to leak. Towed it back to the truck with another quad and brought it home. Turned out it was leaking between the head and cylinder. I removed the valve cover and 3 of the 4 head bolts were loose. The 3 bolts were the short bolts and they all ripped the threads out of the cylinder. I brought the cylinder to the same shop that honed it and they put heli coils in. I put it back together and ordered and install new parts. I thought it was the thermistor and I put a new one in and the light was still on. I then ordered a brand new LR60 and installed it and the light turned off. The primary clutch was super loud and sounded like a rattle can so I bought an EPI primary clutch rebuild kit. That was installed along with new oem weights. New secondary buttons were also installed.I also put a new plug, new fuel filter,new air filter, new belt, adjusted shifter linkage, adjusted etc, and cleaned the carb. During this process I cooked the battery by leaving it on a charger. The bike would no longer start. I unplugged the black wire from the cdi and it started. I plugged that back in (it died) and unplugged the black wire from the rev limiter box LR-83 and it runs (just no 4x4 or reverse limiter). I took the bike out today for it's first maiden voyage since the second rebuild and it still won't go over 23-25mph and 30mph downhill. I've read this bike should go mid 40's wot. Things to note: I can feel the torque difference in low and high. Low seems alright and high has no power. Is it possible since it only runs with the black wire unplugged on the rev limiter that it's pooched and putting some rpm limiter and it won't go fast? I'll check the plug colour tomorrow. I need help and I don't want to put much more money into this thing. Sorry for the long story.I've read for hours looking for the same/similar problem. Thanks in advance!!