Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Has anyone replaced their stock headlights with a led kit? Prairie

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone replaced their stock headlights with a led kit? Prairie

I bought a 2000 kawasaki prairie 4 4x4, the highbeams don't work at all so I pulled the headlights out. One bulb has a broken element but the other one is fine. The one with the broken element actually melted the housing. So I was looking to completely remover the stock headlights and replace them with a led kit but put them in the same spot that the original headlights were in. Has anyone done this? Iknow I can mount them on the rack or elsewhere but I'd like to use the stock location. Thanks for any help

Old 12-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

I replaced the 35 watt stock head lites on my 2001 Arctic Cat with 35 watt (Lazers) that I bought on eBay cheap. Way brighter than the old stock ones with dull lenses. Here's a picture of the front of the AC, they are very bright!

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone replaced their stock headlights with a led kit? Prairie-p1010015.jpg  
Old 12-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Did you just cut the wires and wire in the new lights? Did you use a relay? I'd like mine to turn on and off with the regular headlight switch

Old 12-25-2016, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, very simple. They were called= Lazsr Star Spotlights, I believe. Got em on eBay. Someone on the Arctic Chat forums put me on to them. Price was cheap, quality good. No relay, my 2001 did not have hi and low beam, I presume hi beam only, but these are really bright.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Picked up a pair from walmart for $15 just wired them in using original headlight wiring so I can still use stock switch. Now I'm trouble shooting my brakes. Right side hand brake has no resistance and the left hand brake is really hard to pull it in, I removed left front caliper and the piston is seized, any input on getting the cylinder out to rebuild?? Also what are each hand brake used for? I assume left is for front only? Right is for front and rear?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

When I bought my AC 400 it only had 1 working brake caliper, front right. Bought a left front on eBay for cheap, but it was junk. I bit the bullet and bought a new one from the dealer. Still haven't hooked up the rear, as the front will stand you on your nose and manual transmission works good gearing down on the steep hills. You may find that the little piston that the brake lever pushes in, needs to be replaced, mine did. Was funny, my AC 500 has 8,000 miles and never had a brake issue, except replacing pads. Lights look awesome!

Old 03-14-2017, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lph008
Picked up a pair from walmart for $15 just wired them in using original headlight wiring so I can still use stock switch. Now I'm trouble shooting my brakes. Right side hand brake has no resistance and the left hand brake is really hard to pull it in, I removed left front caliper and the piston is seized, any input on getting the cylinder out to rebuild?? Also what are each hand brake used for? I assume left is for front only? Right is for front and rear?

One lever is front and other lever is rear along with the foot pedal for the rear. You probably wouldn't care for a one lever for both front and rear as most people don't. To hard to control steep hill climb and decent.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:28 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A single brake lever is one of the things I like about Polaris ATVs. Before buying a quad the only OHV I ever rode was a snowmobile. It had a thumb throttle on the right and a brake lever on the left just like my quad. And they both have a CVT transmission so there wasn't much for me to have to learn. Right hand throttle, left hand brake, just like my snowmobile. I don't have to worry about accidentally pulling the clutch in instead of the brake lever. When I went for a short ride on a friend's sport quad I had a hard time reaching the brake lever and had to let go of the throttle. Other people may not have a problem with it at all but I did and I like being able to keep both hands on the controls. The only brake pedal is the emergency brake that I never have to use so I don't have to do anything with either foot which I also like. Different strokes for different folks.