Vintage Machines.. Pre 1975, Dirt bikes, ATV's, MiniBikes, Snowmobiles, etc.... If you rode and or still ride a vintage machine..lets talk about it here!!

1974 Heald Super Bronc's

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:27 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by brumbear
I posted here and there I bought 6 TaoTao machines last year only the 2 110's and 1 125 were ok I had to replace an engine on 1 of the 110 but they did send me it free one 125 was shyte a 150 and my 250 were all absolute junk. Buyer beware but I digress.
Here are some of the photo's
6 of them huh? wow.. what a bummer..I will look up your threads when I get the time.. Used to spend a lot of time in the Chinese section...

I like the looks of the project so far.. looking forward to the finished pics and a performance report...

Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I had a brain fart and decided to get me and a few of my friends quads at dealer pricing I'd get the minimum order and if I liked em what the heck I'd give it a whirl as a small time dealer but it just didn't work out. I gotta say the 110 are a great bargain for what they are the bigger ones not so much.The biggest problem I found was NO QC on the product at all. I will also say with just a little bit of decent QC they could get double the price make a pretty good product and everybody would be happy.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by brumbear
Yeah I had a brain fart and decided to get me and a few of my friends quads at dealer pricing I'd get the minimum order and if I liked em what the heck I'd give it a whirl as a small time dealer but it just didn't work out. I gotta say the 110 are a great bargain for what they are the bigger ones not so much.The biggest problem I found was NO QC on the product at all. I will also say with just a little bit of decent QC they could get double the price make a pretty good product and everybody would be happy.
Dont feel bad.. I spent 7 weeks in China at the ShenMao Appliance Co.. The guy importing Jetmoto's had found a new factory and wanted someone there to try and modernize things.. Who knew getting them to work on benches instead of the floor would be my first job.. next was "Please stop beating bearings and seals into place with a ball peen hammer".. 3rd was "Dont tighten every bolt with a impact gun"

It was a huge waste of my time and money but was a great experience...

Problem with quality over there is they have no clue.. They have no idea what quality is or looks like.. Quantity is their first priority..

The Tao Tao factory was across town from the Shen Mao place.. It looked like a Honda plant compared to where I was..The Shen Mao Appliance Co is now making lawn mowers etc...

Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

That must have been a great experience!! I spent a couple years in Germany and that was a wonderful experience but the problem there is exactly the oposite at times so much quality control it can hurt. Hey just think of a Tiger tank less than 2000 tigers models 1 and II combined were ever produced and how many people know what they are? I remember when I was first getting a working knowledge of the Language and I was in a train station, and they announced over the PA the train on track 4 will be 30 seconds late. I think of NJ Transit and you wonder if they are coming at all.
Have a great weekend!! I am off tomorrow to see Nuclear Cowboys with my youngest son.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

I made a little progress on the build thought I'd pop it up there.

Attached Thumbnails 1974 Heald Super Bronc's-new-eng.jpg   1974 Heald Super Bronc's-new-eng1.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 08:26 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Looking good brumbear! I wondered how you were doing on this. Thanks for sharing the pics..

Old 05-25-2014, 08:54 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Ive been meaning to post some pics of the Super Bronc.. but got real busy at my shop for the last 11 weeks or so.. things are starting to mellow out now. I took the one SB that is together to my inlaws for Easter. It got about 6-7 hrs of run time over the weekend between my wife, my oldest son and I riding it around.. We all said the same thing after riding it.. It handles evil...with 80% of its weight on the rear tire.. it doesnt want to turn and as a bonus it wants to fall to the left all the time because of how the engine weight is distributed..

Despite this its a stupid kinda fun while riding it..

Last edited by mywifesquad; 05-26-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Awesome news minibikes are always fun!! My wife always gives me a dose for keeping mine but it is just FUN it puts as big a smile on my face as my 150hp Buell CR1125. BTW I decided to do a Hillard clutch on the HARBOR TAO I got a 13 tooth from my buddy who was also making a project but if this doesn't work I'll do the Comet.
Dave

Attached Thumbnails 1974 Heald Super Bronc's-i-kmgprn5-l.jpg  
Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I understand.. I have a bit of a mini bike problem myself.. much worse than a issue.. I just found and bought on ebay a frame that is identical to the first mini bike I ever had.. It was in Ohio and Im in Ca..seller wouldnt ship it.. I have internet friend that lives near the guy selling it.. I paid him to pick it up and ship it to me.. Ive got a 3 hp briggs for it.. really only need tires and rims.. Im not going to ride this one.. just hang it on a wall of my shop when its done.. It seemed bigger 43 yrs ago when I first got it.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

yeah you got it bad

Quick Reply: 1974 Heald Super Bronc's