Vintage Machines.. Pre 1975, Dirt bikes, ATV's, MiniBikes, Snowmobiles, etc.... If you rode and or still ride a vintage machine..lets talk about it here!!

HELP!!! Honda atc 200s

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Honda atc 200s

so i picked up a Honda 200 all original complete with original ownership. ya i was excited lol. so after completely blowing it apart and fabing a new exhaust off a 200x i started it, it wouldn't idle properly if i put the idle to the proper spot it will sit there for awhile then spike as if the throttle was left wide open. if i turn it down to decent i have to hit the throttle every so often to keep it running. i know it need rings because when i start it it doesn't pull my arm off like they normally do lol. i heard i rumour that with a new exhaust like that id need a bigger jet in the carb. however i took it down to the small engine shop and he told me they were crazy and i needed to set the valves. i did so and now it wont start at all. aany ideas whats happening. is it just my rings?

Old 03-08-2015, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Sounds like the valves are too tight now. Make sure the piston is at TDC(top dead center) before adjusting. How did it idle before? A lot of unknowns...could just be the carb needs torn down and cleaned(alot of timy passages) so get a kit and carb cleaner...a good soak over night will help. You are most likely losing compression because the intakes are too tight and staying open...guaranteed NO START there. So Carb clean up(be thorough...) and then get them valves in line! Lets get that machine going! I LOVE the 3 wheelers!

Old 03-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default what I've done so far.

So I set the valves they are 0.005 over. I took off the exhaust amdnput the stock one on again. Just to see. Replaced the o ring on the carb for a better seal. Went threw the carb just to check. Now I live in Canada so its been cold. Gonna wait for warmer weather and see what happens.