Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Need Info on Daniel Boone Nat. Forest Trails

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Info on Daniel Boone Nat. Forest Trails

Has anyone ridden the Daniel Boone National Forest trails, including the Nathan McLure Route or the Redbird Crest Trail? If so, How are they? Is Redbird Crest open all the way for ATV's?

Any info would be appreciated.

Old 06-18-2003, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have ridden the S-tree and renfro sections of the ORV trails in DBNF and they are a fairly well groomed and nice section of trails with these two combined you get about 25 miles of main trail. I have researched the possiblity of riding redbird as a whole, but have found that certian parts are allowed to street legal vehicles only, and other parts are too narrow and ment for dirt bikes. The best source for info on red bird is the DBNF web site. This is the Link to the info on their site about Red Bird http://www.southernregion.fs.fed.us/boone/OHVRED.HTM
it includes links to maps of the trail and info on how much of it is open to what kinds of vehicles. Hope this helps some.

Old 06-18-2003, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I've been on the website and printed every map. I'm thinking about a trip down there next week, but I want to hear if the trails are as scenic, challenging, and long enough. Otherwise, I may just head on over to Hatfield/McCoy.

There is one trail called the Norman Mclure or something like that. It is rated for experienced riders due to difficult terrain and it runs along the Cumberland River. If that one is as good as it sounds, then it would probably be worth the trip, so if anyone out there has ridden it, I'd appreciate a description. 11 miles can be a long ride if the trail is rugged enough.

I read somewhere that this area was rated by a magazine as even better than Hatfield/McCoy, in terms of scenery. Also, the White Sulfer area near Morehead was the subject of a segment on an ATV show this weekend on OLN. They really talked the whole area up.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Old 06-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

I saw the same show and I just wanted to bring up a detail. They said they had 20 miles of ATV trails in DBNF. Hatfield Mccoy is supposed to be over 400 miles of trails. I've been strongly leaning towards H/M for my vacation this year.

Old 06-18-2003, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

They only went on 1 of the trails. There are a number of trail areas there, including a 52 mile loop. (Although that particular one has sections unsuitable for ATV's)

Old 06-20-2003, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Bump. Still looking for good info.