Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Where to ride within 1 days drive of Dallas/Fort Worth

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:43 AM
jbh
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to ride within 1 days drive of Dallas/Fort Worth

Me and my friend will go riding this summer to the mountains somewhere. We only want to drive out 1 day, and still be able to set up camp the same day. We have been to red river new mexico 2 times already. Last year we went to taylor park colorado but it was basically a 2 day drive.

Any suggestions on where to go? Arkansas is not an option because it will be hot. We prefer high elevations and real mountains. I have read a little about lincoln national forest in New Mexico but I cant find too much about it. I know someone who rides a dirt bike out there and loves it but says it is a lot of single track and would not be very good for an ATV.

We are looking for at least the amount of trails red river has to offer. Taylor park was way better than red river but much much farther. We racked up around 300+ miles in 4 days of riding.

Any suggestions or should we just go back to red river. We plan to spend 3 days riding.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Range Rover

Arkansas is not that hot in the Summer... You can go check out Mill Creek SE of Fayetteville or Wolf Pen Gap by Mena,,,,They are in the Mtns. & it is not bad riding at all in the Summer...

Old 04-24-2007, 11:48 PM
jbh
Trailblazer

I would assume it still gets into the 90's with humidity in Arkansas? I have been there in May/June around eureka springs and it was just as warm as it was in DFW.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Range Rover

I live 16 miles west of Eureka....It is not bad for riding...

Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

www.crossbarranch.com

Onlyl two hours from DFW and trails with lots of elevation change and stream crossings. Check it out.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:21 AM
jbh
Trailblazer

I still think it will be hot in July in OK but the temps are great right now. 6500 acres is a lot of riding area. How many miles of trails do you have so far? Are you open every weekend?

Old 04-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Right now we have about 40 miles of trail loops and several other miles of unlooped trail. Our 24 mile north trail will challenge the best of ATV riders and once completed most will call it a day. The north loop is about a 3 to 4 hour ride with some great scenery and challenging terrain. The south loop is less challenging but a fun loop with lots of turns.

After your ride there is a great Mexican resturant in town that many riders flock to for their after ride meal. You can hear some great off road stories being passed around with great food to go with it.

The area is most suited for utility quads than sport quads. Lots of rocks to ding a disc rotor is you don't have a good skid plate under your sport quad.

Normally we have several regulars that hang around and are quite willing to guide new riders around. Come on down and make some new riding friends. Many of them plan summer trips outside of the area to escape the summer heat so you might just be able to join up with some of them on some summertime trips.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry for the old bump, but we just might have to check this place out. We usually go to Red River ATV Trails in Bulcher or Rocky Ridge in Decatur. Brother-in-law and sister are going to check out Mena, Arkansas over Labor Day weekend.