Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Trails around the St Anthony Idaho area

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trails around the St Anthony Idaho area

Im looking into the trails around St Anthony, and seems like there are alot of choices. Can anyone give recommendations . I think we would drive up to 150 miles from there, and are looking for something where 4x4 isnt necesary. Scenery is high on the list, we're from Minnesota, and would like to get a bit closer to the Tetons or whatever is most scenic.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Hey HB when ya going???? A few of us were also thinkin of going some time this summer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

HB I was pokin around & found this site dunereview thay hav a e-mail, might want to try askin these guys.. hope it helps

Old 02-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Z, PM sent, and thats a good link.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hondabuster,
Around St Anthony are the dunes
http://www.visitidaho.org/thingstodo...actionid=30916
http://www.id.blm.gov/recreation/data/04dunesinfo.pdf
also near there is Ashton-Island Park area. I haven't riden at the dunes, but know people who travel from all over to ride and stay there.
I usually go to Island Park. There are trails all over the place and you can ride from Ashton to West Yellowstone, Montana on an old rail bed. It is real fun.
http://www.islandparkchamber.org/
http://www.westyellowstonechamber.com/
Good luck

Old 02-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply and the links. We plan on staying at the dunes for a week, and thought it might be nice to have a back up, in case of rain or in case we miss the trees and dirt. We arent used to sand riding, and as long as the mountains are so close, itd be nice to get in some mountain scenery.
Ive also found this link, for others who may read the thread.
atvidaho

Old 02-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have not been to the dunes before you will love it. In St. A's there are more then just open dunes as well. There are 3 fingers that run up the mountain behind thunder Mountain - Amazing view and a great place to watch a sunset.

There are also nice trails on the other side of Sand Hills resort (accross the road) - little bit of rocky ridding but really nice trails once you get out there.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

Im going to check out the st.Anthony dunes this summer you sound like uv been there lots, and u know where to go, i need som info on where the best party sites are, could you give me some advice. ? Hey i have relatives in salmon arm and i go housboating there every summer.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Miss Metal Mulisha

Yes I have been to St. A's a fair few times. We usually go down 2 twice a year, once in June for a week and then a quick trip in September. Once you experience the sand you will be hooked.

My first trip down to the dunes started the same way as you want, thought we would ride the sand for a few days then move on to something else. We ended up ridding the whole week.

The best place to stay depends on what you are staying in. If you are bringing down a camper you can stay in one of the 3 campsite by the dunes. You can ride right out of each of them. They are Sand Hills Resort, The Oasis, and the BLM (Govenment run). If you are tenting the best place to stay is Sand hills. All the spots are nice grass and showers arte usually pretty clean.

St. A's is not a big party place, you won't see a whole bunch of people in the dunes after dark. It not like Glamis in Calif. that you have probably seen in mags and the movies. The closest town to the Dunes is Rexburg which is almost a dry town. Walmart sells beer and wine but not on Sunday. Even Pizza Hut doesn't serve beer. There is a liquor store but it is a way out of town.

St. A's is the best dune ridding in the US in my opinion. It is now an 18 hour drive to the dunes from Salmon arm but worth it ever time.

Drop me a line if you need anymore info.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

When are you coming out here? If you want to do much riding in the mountains, I wouldn't come until late June or July. The higher elevation trails often still have snow until then. I live in Victor, about 1 hour from St. Anthony and I can see the Tetons from my back yard. There are a ton of forest service roads and trails to ride on around here, and you wouldn't need 4WD if you were on the forest service roads. You can contact one of the ranger stations for the Caribou-Targhee National Forest and request National Forest Travel Maps. The Forest is divided into several ranger districts....Palisades & Teton Basin Districts covers the area surounding the Teton Valley and Palisades Reservoir. Ashton/Island Park covers the area north of here, and the Dubois District is north of St. Anthony, along the Montana border. Let me know if you need any of the forest service station's phone numbers or addresses.

FYI, you need a flag if you are riding in Fremont County (Island Park area), but if you are riding on the dunes, you probably already have one. You also need an OHV sticker if you will be on any National Forest roads or trails. I think you can get them from the ranger stations, too.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Were going mid june, and thanks for the tips. We plan on about two day trips to non sand areas. 8 mile canyon looks pretty good, have you been there?

Quick Reply: Trails around the St Anthony Idaho area