Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Riding on the road in OHIO.. new laws??

Old 11-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding on the road in OHIO.. new laws??

just purchased another 40 of woods about 1.5 miles from our home and was looking at the ohio laws for atv's on the road.. we are in nevada ohio and i would have to travel down highway 231 to get there.. this is all out of town by the way.. here is how the law reads:

§ 4519.41.
Snowmobiles, off-highway motorcycles, and all-purpose vehicles may be operated as
follows:
(A) To make a crossing of a highway, other than a highway as designated in division
(A)(1) of section 4519.40 of the Revised Code, whenever the crossing can be made in safety
and will not interfere with the movement of vehicular traffic approaching from any direction
on the highway, and provided that the operator yields the right-of-way to any approaching
traffic that presents an immediate hazard;
(B) On highways in the county or township road systems whenever the local authority
having jurisdiction over such highways so permits;
(C) Off and alongside a street or highway for limited distances from the point of
unloading from a conveyance to the point at which the snowmobile, off-highway motorcycle,
or all-purpose vehicle is intended and authorized to be operated;
(D) On the berm or shoulder of a highway, other than a highway as designated in
division (A)(1) of section 4519.40 of the Revised Code, when the terrain permits such
operation to be undertaken safely and without the necessity of entering any traffic lane;
(E) On the berm or shoulder of a county or township road, while traveling from one
area of operation of the snowmobile, off- highway motorcycle, or all-purpose vehicle to
another such area.

in another note.. deputy sheriff was at a friends house helpin hook up a winch and said in ohio in 2010 atv's will be registered and given plates and given more acess to roads.. is this true cuz i can't find that info anywhere..

Old 11-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard anything about the laws being changed in 2010. I have a hard time believing that to be true, but I hope it is, that would be great!!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd ask a local cop who patrols the area where you plan to ride. They're the ones who would be stopping you.

Around here state law only allows crossing the road from one side to another - however, there are local areas that allow limited riding on specific roads - like Huntsville TN near the Brimstone riding area. They passed an ordinance to ride on country type roads between different areas of the trails and some of the parking places in town.

I know of a few other roads near riding areas where it is not legal to ride but the cops are OK with it.