Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

North Georgia?

Old 03-01-2001, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
Very new to the ATV world.(4 month's) I found a couple of trails online in the N Ga area near where we own some land. Bought the '99 Big Bear so the wife could get around the land a little easier and now also have a '01 Bear because I discovered how much fun "y'all" were having!
Has anyone rode either the Oakey Mtn trail near Lake Rabun or on the Whisenhant ORV area near Dahlonega. Any reviews or photos?. How tough (or not) are these areas.

Learning quite a bit on this site....

Thx
Tim

Old 03-01-2001, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't rode at either of these places, but I do ride a lot in the Cohutta WMA. It's in the north west side of the state near Chatsworth. It's about a two hour ride from Newnan but worth it. I haven't found any good places to ride in this area. Maybe we'll see you around. This is a great site for ATV info.

Old 03-02-2001, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

Thx,
I will have to try that area out this summer. I am also looking for an area close to home. Since we are only 20min apart (I live 1/2 way between Fairburn & Palmetto), I will keep you posted if I have any luck. The sites I found were on the Ga DNR site and sound interesting. You are right about the info on these sites. Spent a couple of months researching prior to buying and have saved myself a LOT of trial and error ($) on fixes and changes. Thx to all who post here!

Tim

Old 03-06-2001, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

TL4x4o: Ive been hunting for Ga riding areas for months. Im trying to compile a list of all that I find to post on this site by summer. I would greatly appreciate directions to any of these places youve posted because I havent heard of them. and any more you may have found.

thanks,
robert

Old 03-07-2001, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer

Great idea Robert!
I will e-mail you the links I have to the DNR sites for Ga. I am going up this weekend for a much needed sanity break but I do not think I will have time to stop by either of those areas. We bought some land 10mi east of Cleveland last fall and I am planning on just fixing up the campsite this weekend and chilling out. (And maybe working on some of those old log roads.....)
I am looking really hard for any sort of accessable area on the southside as well. Wondering if it might be possible to lease some land to ride on? Sort of like a hunting lease. I will let you know if I get any positive responses from any of the realestate people I know. Insurance issues, blah, blah, blah......

Tim

Old 03-07-2001, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

Robert,
The e-mail address in your profile does not seem to be working today. Let me know if you have another and I will forward those links again.
Tim

Old 03-11-2001, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Howdy I live in Tellico Plains TN. about 75 to 100 miles above the Georgia line. There is some good trails about 25 miles from Tellico. It is called the Upper Tellico Trails and you may have heard of them or even visited. If you have never been there I would Highly suggest trying to come up and check it out. You can find info and maps by pulling up on the search Upper Tellico Atv Trails. Hope this helps give us a yell if you decide to visit this part of the Country

Old 03-12-2001, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer

Thx for the invite! I saw photos of Tellico in the winch review on the main page. Looks very impressive. I had checked out various sites with info about Tellico and noticed that there does seem to be trails for every skill level. ( I am still a relative newbie)
I spent the weekend on our land between Dahlonega and Cleveland Ga clearing old log roads and making some new trails for the wife to try. The land next to ours was logged about 3 or 4 years ago and I had a chance to see just what a Big Bear 4x4 was capable of in woods (mine) as well as stumps, logs , and brush (theirs). What a blast! Had no idea how well they would crawl over obstacles. I get a little more hooked every time I go riding.

TL

Old 03-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default North Georgia?

Hey, i did a search for places to ride, to find new stuff too. I've been to whizenhut, and oakey mountain. the oakey mountain area was 10x better for atvs. whizenhut was a bit narrow, but fun as well, just not as extensive when i went. both can be found at http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/facili...ml?display=orv they give descriptions, directions, etc. the oakey mountain run was as long as you want to make it, and there are more challenging hillclimbs and mudholes if you want to test yourself. i always got done riddin' there laughing hard it was such a blast. smoked the trailbikes up the hill climbs, and they smoked me on the jumps. i had a kawa bayou 300 2x4 last i ran that one. i now have a big bear 2x4, and can't wait to go. maybe this summer. anyway, the oakey mtn area is right near the dam of lake burton, whizenhut i think, was over near helen, ga. happy trails..null