Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

WV This weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WV This weekend

Heading to Hatfield/McCoy this weekend (my first trip of the year thanks to the the new job). Anybody else been down recently? I'm trying to decide which trailhead to stay near just wondered what the latest was.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

Originally Posted by YamRap
Heading to Hatfield/McCoy this weekend (my first trip of the year thanks to the the new job). Anybody else been down recently? I'm trying to decide which trailhead to stay near just wondered what the latest was.
Got home a week ago from a four day ride there...we rode Little coal river for a day, buffalo mountain for a day, and rockhouse for two days. We put in 355 miles in the four days. We have been on 5 of the 6 systems this season...what info are you looking for? We camped at Little Coal River Campground, parked at the trailhead along 52 for Buffalo Mountain, and stayed outside Gilbert at Browning Fork Trailhouses. Earlier in the season we camped at Ashland Resort on Indian Ridge and rode that and Pinnacle Creek. Post back with more questions to gather info! Where are you from in Ohio?? I am from Central...just south of Columbus.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Gonna be staying in Gilbert at Fox ATV Lodge. Normally stay in Logan but gonna try a different place this time. Didn't really need any specific info just looking for any advice on places to stay and trailheads. I've ridden Rockhouse, Bearwallow, Buffalo Mountain before. Until recently lived in Perrsyburg, OH (between Toledo & Bowling Green) but am livin in Washington DC now. Had to leave my Raptor at home but my Dad & riding group are gonna meet me at the lodge with the quads. Can't wait to get in some trail time...was used to riding daily in OH but now just a few trips a year.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:57 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Food

I can give you some advise on one of my favorite subjects from Rockhouse...food. The best place that we have found to eat on Rockhouse is actually in Man. The Firepit (or hillbilly firepit) in only open Friday and Saturday...got to get there! Go with the Hillbilly Hamwich for your main course and the bbq chicken fries as your appetizer!! Wise Guys has good pizza in Gilbert, Wally's is supposed to have good breakfast (havent been there)...I can say that Maggies has good breakfast...directions-go out of Gilbert on 52 toward williamson (about 2 miles) until you see browning fork road...take browning fork for 1.7 miles and maggies is on the right (or you can take trail 19 until you see the bright orange post beside the trail...follow that little side trail until you hit pavement and a stop sign and turn right!) You will pass Browning Fork Trailhouses while on this little side trail! Anyway...have fun and be careful...post back with how your trip goes!!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

trip went awesome as usual...Hatfield/McCoy is a great place to ride. We did the Indian Ridge/ Pinnacle Creek systems w/ the connector on day one (about 120 miles total riding) and then Buffalo Mountain and Rockhouse day 2. Also did a short ride on Rockhouse this morning before I had to head out. I've done every trail now and think Buffalo Mountain and Rockhouse are my two favorites. We did eat at Wally's for breakfast (been there before) and it was good as usual. Got plenty wet and muddy but that just adds to the fun. I did however have a spill on Black trail 32...got all the way to the top, went to shut off my helmet camera too soon and rolled backwards (and yet managed to turn the camera off so I didn't even get it on video damn it) only minor damage to the machine was throttle cable casing and break cylinder, also broke one of the lights. Great trip tho and will def be back to H/M asap.