Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Riding in Hunterdon County NJ.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in Hunterdon County NJ.

Found a great spot to ride right near my house. There is over 60 acres of vacant land surrounded by 1.3 miles wide of woods and probably 2 miles of woods length wise. There are some old tire rut marks in the mud that hunters used to ride their trucks through a very long time ago, how do I know this? Because of the sixe of the trees which now grow in the trail that once was. Anyway, it's thick woods, in the process of making trails through the woods. I came across a swampy area which I've been riding back and forth about 450' and it's nice and muddy! As I'm making trails through this swampy area the water was flowing via my tire ruts, great section to get on the throttle and let her rip. There is alot of old deer stands up all over the woods and 1/2 dozen of metal stands that do not look to old (probably the locals hunt here) but they are all on this 65 or so acre of vacant land, with the exception of one near someone's house. Place has lots of potential, there is a few creeks to ride through, with some steep banks to ride up and down into the water. I've been working on the swamp section mostly as I want to turn it into a decent mud bog over time from repetitive riding through. Great thing about this location is it being so close to where I live. I access the woods from riding across a country road and then onto a small lot of public land which is vacant. There is only 15' of private property to cross and then it turns into all vacant woods.

On the other side of the woods which is 1.3 miles from my property, there were old no trespassing/no hunting signs placed up on a bunch of trees and some very old stands made out of wood which are rotting away and some fallen down from rot. Looks like it was an archery club at some point in tewksbury as thats where the truck tire ruts are found and split off into two different directions. No one else goes back there as the county always places the no hunting.no tresspassing signs up on all the poles every year, but that is just to scare off outsiders and be more aimed at the properties that are near the country roads. There is even more woods to still be explored if I cross another country road after riding 1.3 miles through the woods. Looks like another good 4 miles of untouched riding area through more woods. I've looked up the tax records of the properties near by and have a map of them. All the houses are anywhere from 2300' - 3500' away from the vacant land area where I've been making trails.

I find this to be such a gem to find as I have never went back into these woods since as long as i lived here. I usually just ride my woods which I have dug out a creek that holds alot of water to ride through and a few over mud bogs with an excavator. Now I don't have to worry about driving 4 hour round trip to and from PA to go riding everytime I want to ride. I just go to my garage, start my atv up and ride from my garage to the woods.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Made a nice trail through the swampy section in the woods. I made about 1650' of swamp trails that had alot of water and mud. Some awesome riding back there!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

Well where is the pics?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Though I had my droid with me i didn't take any pictures cause I had mud all over me. I was covered in mud and didn't want to get any on my droid. I do have some you tube videos of the place when I first went back there I can post.

Riding in the woods on my atv. - YouTube

This video is of the creek I dug out with the excavator last Fall, which now holds alot of water and a nice place to ride through.

Riding my atv in my pond with lots of water. - YouTube

I'll take some pics of the track next time I go back there before I get all muddy. I want to do a video of me riding through the new track but have to wait till one of my buddies is with me to hold my droid so I can capture the video. The mud track in the swamp is really great imo.

Here's another video of me riding through some of my trails on my property.

Riding through one of my bogs on my atv. - YouTube

Old 09-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

Also found an area in the woods with alot of rocks to climb with the atv. Some of the boulders are as big as a small shed and the incline is pretty cool if you are into rock climbing on your atv. I personally don't like rock climbing cause I have a bad back.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Range Rover

Keep the video's coming!

Old 12-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Trailblazer

nice! I'm hoping to pick up a new polaris sportsman 850 today. I live in Raritan TWP, have some woods behind the house and I always hear activity back there.. looking for places to ride close to home like this.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know this is a old thread but there is no such thing as vacant land in Hunterdon County, especially 65 acres. Sooner or later someone will call the cops on you.

Originally Posted by Kodiak450_06
Also found an area in the woods with alot of rocks to climb with the atv. Some of the boulders are as big as a small shed and the incline is pretty cool if you are into rock climbing on your atv. I personally don't like rock climbing cause I have a bad back.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Been riding in somerset county for 20yrs, just have to respect the land & keep it quiet. Some Nice trails out in hunterdon/warren county