Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

New Hampshire/Maine riding

Old 03-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hampshire/Maine riding

Can someone please clear this up for me? Is it illegal to ride 2 up on a ATV in Maine or NH? I understand it is not illegal to ride with a passenger on a touring edition (2 up) ATV, but what about on a standard utility ATV such as a Polaris 850XP? I have received several different opinions and supposedly it varies dependent upon the game warden. Looking to plan a trip with the wife but don't want to waste time or money. Thanks

Old 05-02-2015, 06:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's perfectly legal to ride 2-up machines in nh. I have a sportsman 500 with an aftermarket 2-up for my son. The only place I couldn't take the passenger was for the trip up mt. Washington only factory 2-up machines allowed. We love the NH/ME system.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1433
It's perfectly legal to ride 2-up machines in nh. I have a sportsman 500 with an aftermarket 2-up for my son. The only place I couldn't take the passenger was for the trip up mt. Washington only factory 2-up machines allowed. We love the NH/ME system.
That's pretty much what I've learned over the years riding NH/ME. It's not illegal unless you go to a special event and those running the event say 2-up riding on 2-up machines only.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

From what I see, the OP question wasn't answered?

The following seems clear (assuming driver is 18+):
1) You can ride 2 up on a 2-up factory machine
2) You can ride 2 up on a machine you converted to 2-up as long as not excepted by special event terms

But what about riding 2 up on a 'regular' machine on NH trails, like oh I don't know, my wife and 6 yr old daughter on a smaller Polaris Sportsman 90cc machine? I can't find anything in the regulation that specifically only allows passengers on something that falls under #1 & 2 above, but not sure if it is grey area they might use other 'catch-alls' to cite you like anything that is "endangering a person"...

Old 07-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I think they'd be a little concerned with that kind of arrangement. A 90 cc machine has very little load carrying capacity. An adult + a child seems pretty dangerous to me.

On your #2) It wouldn't be legal at an event that restricts 2 riders to a 2 rider machine. Just because you add a cargo box that has an extra seat doesn't mean it's a 2 rider machine. 2 rider machines have longer wheelbases and usually a higher weight capacity than single rider machines. I'd hate to see you drive hours to an event only to be told you can't ride 2 up on a 1 person machine. I hope that helps clarify things.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, first I misspoke its an Outlaw, not Sportsman. Second, good point to call attention to, but they're skinny Weight capacity is listed as 170 lbs and they are just a hair under. We won't be going at blasting speeds there, so not too concerned, and they frequently ride around our yard together like that without issue.

Yes, we are not going to an event (in which case question should be directed at the event folks), just want to do some trail riding on the public NH system for first time (have done snowmobiles before).

I spoke to a nice fella at Fish & Game today, and he said what I was asking was fine, as long as my daughter was wearing a helmet, eye protection, etc., and it didn't appear she was controlling the machine. If so and my wife was on with her, wife would be considered the passenger which is not allowed for my daughters age.

Daughter could drive by herself just like my son if we were present and able to control her, i.e. adult in front and preferably behind too, but we wouldn't do that unless we all swapped around to my son driving the 90 by self, daughter doing the 50 by self, me still chilling on the bike and my wife walking

Hopefully this helps anyone doing some Googling

Old 07-08-2015, 05:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you go to an off-road park, most will allow 2 up riding if the machine is designed for it. Adding a passenger seat to a one passenger machine doesn't change the fact that it was designed for one rider. The factory 2 passenger models have a much longer wheelbase and are designed with suspension to handle the extra weight of a 2nd rider. Bottom line, call ahead before you go. Some areas are more relaxed on what they allow and some are very strict. Driving hundreds of miles to go somewhere and then finding out you can't do something when you get there will make for an unhappy camper for sure. Could potentially ruin what should have been a fun trip.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by jfon101231
Sorry, first I misspoke its an Outlaw, not Sportsman. Second, good point to call attention to, but they're skinny Weight capacity is listed as 170 lbs and they are just a hair under. We won't be going at blasting speeds there, so not too concerned, and they frequently ride around our yard together like that without issue.

Yes, we are not going to an event (in which case question should be directed at the event folks), just want to do some trail riding on the public NH system for first time (have done snowmobiles before).

I spoke to a nice fella at Fish & Game today, and he said what I was asking was fine, as long as my daughter was wearing a helmet, eye protection, etc., and it didn't appear she was controlling the machine. If so and my wife was on with her, wife would be considered the passenger which is not allowed for my daughters age.

Daughter could drive by herself just like my son if we were present and able to control her, i.e. adult in front and preferably behind too, but we wouldn't do that unless we all swapped around to my son driving the 90 by self, daughter doing the 50 by self, me still chilling on the bike and my wife walking

Hopefully this helps anyone doing some Googling
Your wife and kid better watch out for high winds then. I don't think I've weighed 170 since I was about 2 years old.

Sounds like the Fish and Game would want your daughter behind your wife. That way they can't say she was controlling the machine instead of your wife.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

LOL on weight.

Don't remember if I said she'd be in front or he suggested it, but he was basically saying my wife should be on the grips and not daughter.

I know there is risk of her being trapped between machine and wife, but personally feel for riding we do that its lower than chance her falling off the back, plus it's a better view. When she rides with my son at home she does ride behind and holds on...

Old 07-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like the game warden was very helpful. He's just concerned about your daughter's safety. He could have been very by the book and said if its not a 2 person quad, then you can't have 2 people on it. I can't imagine an Outlaw being a very comfortable 2 person ride though. That's a sport quad. Generally if someone wants to ride 2-up, its a larger utility machine like a Sportsman or Grizzly. With their large racks, they're designed for a higher cargo carrying capacity, many with 200lbs or more than another person, some as much as 300lbs. The rear rack capacity alone on my Grizzly is much more than your daughter weighs, 133lbs, with a 66lb front rack capacity. Utility quads have full floorboards and much softer seat too. A lot of people start out on sport quads but end up getting utility machines later as they are a lot more versatile in what they can do. Utility quads used to be only slow, work machines but with the power increases in the last few years, they've gotten pretty sporty now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Hampshire/Maine riding