Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Glamis

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2000, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Sunday (1/31/00), I got back from a three day trip to Glamis. It was fabulous. I rode a '00 400EX with an FMF muffler (and Sand Skate IIs). Although it was really loud, I liked it (easier to wheely and pound the whoops, and it seemed to rev further).

Back to the trip. We had 5 big rides and one hardcore thrashing. The hardcore trip was my BEST ride/experience on a quad every.

The 400EX was perfect for me and I loved it. Before I got there I wanted to ride a 250R. I ended up starting on the 400EX, and I had so much fun on it that I didn't want to switch. I rode the 400EX the whole weekend and had no regrets. I never missed a bowl (never had to cut off and try the transition again), and I could easily climb Patton's Hill. I would get a the bottom of it, pound through the whoops and fly up the hill, tapped in 2nd. What a rush.

At Patton's, we saw a dirt biker do some incredible stuff. He skipped across the whoops like they weren't there, wheelied up the first half of the hill and wailed up the rest. When he got to the top, he turned around and jumped down the hill! I was climbing the hill when he did this, and I had to blink to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

After the trip, I concluded two things: one, I'm a 4-stroke guy. I rode a couple 250Rs around the flats and I didn't like the hit. To each is his own I guess; two, Banshees kick! They are amazing machines. I love to listen to them hill climbing. That shriek gets your adrenaline pumping. And the power . . . wow. Going up Patton's Hill, even a stock Banshee can upshift.

Overall, it was a great trip. Glamis is the mecca of ATVing. Every ATVer should make it to Glamis at least once. The hard part is going just once. Once you've experienced the sand dunes, you will always come back!

Check out my web site later in the week for new Glamis pics!

Old 02-07-2000, 04:13 AM
Trailblazer

Dude, sounds killer i'm going to Glamis this Thursday for the first time. I'm just wondering if they check for spark arrestors. Hmmmmmmmmm

Old 02-07-2000, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Nebula-we are also in Mesa and go to Glamis all the time(usually two trips a month during the season-more if we can pull it off!). Can't imagine you won't love it-though there is lots of great riding around here(we are so lucky!),Glamis stands alone for riding pleasure! I am not sure about the spark arrestor-we have newer bikes,so it has never been an issue-just asked 2 friendsne said no and one said yes-so that was obviously no help!! Do make sure though that you have a helmet and a whip-both of them are required! Also make sure that you pay the fee for the week or the year(well worth it to do the year at $30 if you think you will be going back again)cuz I do know the rangers are nailing people who are trying to slide by without paying. Have fun and ride safe!

Old 02-07-2000, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

You will have a blast. Just remember: don't do anything you aren't comfortable with. Pushing your limits is a good way to get hurt. Use your head but don't for get to have fun!

One more thing. Go to Competition Hill at nine at night. It is really cool. If you don't want to race, just watch. If you're lucky you'll see some cool stuff. I saw a guy make it up the hill with his Ford 4x4 pickup. (This hill was Competition Hill in the south end of Imperial. It is the first major hill east of Pair-A-Dice. From the top, you can see the interstate.)

Old 02-14-2000, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

I went this past week for the first time and it was killer.