Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Michigan ATVers with Kids

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI,
we are suppose to be working this upcoming Novemember in Lansing to have the State ATV age restrictions removed,im in TOTAL agreement,they are RIDICULES at best.Seems highly unresonable that the State allows your 8 yr old to ride his dirtbike with you as long as he has a valid ORV training certificate and is under VISUAL supervision of an adult,but its not legal to put the same kid on 4 WHEELS with a ORV certificate and visual supervision of an adult till he is 12.

How'd it become this way?ATVers in Michigan had no one to represent their interests until just recently.The snowmobilers in this State have had representation by the 1000s for MANY yrs,the dirtbike riders of Mich have been Represented by the CCC[Cycle Conservation Club]since 1968.ATVers ''JUST'' founded MATVA [Mich ATV Assoc]a few yrs back.The thing that really irks me is that of the 140.000 registered ORVs in the State of Mich,about 2/3 of them are ATVs and we are the MOST restricted user group???

Until we ATVers gel together by the 1000s and get uniform representation,the State will continue to TAKE things and restrict our use.What can YOU do about this?Support ATV related Assoc like MATVA.Attend the ORV Board meetings that take place EVERY two months and make YOUR voice heard in Lansing!

Bill

Old 05-03-2002, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

<< Until we ATVers gel together by the 1000s and get uniform representation,the State will continue to TAKE things and restrict our use.What can YOU do about this?Support ATV related Assoc like MATVA.Attend the ORV Board meetings that take place EVERY two months and make YOUR voice heard in Lansing!

Bill
>>

Well since I started this thread about the kids riding in Mich. I thought I would let you all know that I am taking them (me and wife incl.) to Mich for the class this Sun in Woodhaven. They are 9 and 10. Now I think it will be good for the boys but I am still not sure if I will go riding in Mich because of the crazy age limit. I am REAL hesatint about planning a 3-4 day trip there just to get sent packing. But I am plan a day trip and take our chances and hope we dont get stopped. Although they will have their Mich ORV safety certificate I dont know if DNR and the like will hassle us...

Jon

Old 05-03-2002, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

You probably had no idea your post would turn into a major debate!
Hope your family has a fun ride, Jon. Youll probably be okay, and at least on a day trip, you are close enough thats its not an extremely long trip home should things go wrong. It does kind of take away a little of the fun when you are constantly looking over your shoulder, but its unlikely theyll actually squeeze you for a birth certificate or proof of age, even if they do stop you.

As I stated before, if your kids are intent on riding some sand, the Badlands in western Indiana is excellent for kids. Its not very crowded since its not located in a tourist area, and theres a wide variety of dunes and woods. Its privately owned too, so theres no state stickers, registrations, or other fees or hassles. We are heading back out June 12th. My 7 year old had such a great time last year, he immediately picked it as our riding vacation this year.

Old 05-03-2002, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

I am sure we will make it to the Badlands this year also. I just wish every decent riding spot wasnt at least 4 hours in every direction.

Jon

Old 05-04-2002, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Try living in Western Michigan where the nearest trails are closer than that.............you just can't get down 'em without wrapping yourself around a tree!

Wait............I hear the sound of a brand new grader approaching...........our problems over here in Western Michigan are finally solved(?) through political self-interest and prioritization !!!!! Most importantly, the trails closest to the good people of Detroit are once again smooth enough for any wife's butt and area quad sales are up!!!!

Not sure of where you can ride this new Raptor that I'm trying to sell you? Not to worry; we make sure our trails are graded over here (near Detroit) so that you can let 'er rip and bring the whole family!!!

Sorry, (inside joke)

John

Old 05-12-2002, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

We were also planning on a riding trip to Silver Lake last year. I checked before we left and found out about the age limit and no riding doubles.

We also made a 3 1/2hour trip to the Badlands the weekend before they had dissallowed riding doubles but the website was not updated so we made the trip in vain. We like to ride as a family so we made the 3 1/2 hour trip back home then another 3 1/2 hours to Wayne National Forrest. We were on the road that day 10 1/2 hours. We finally arrived at Wayne and have a great evening ride.

We have 2 children. A now six year old who got his first 4 wheeler at age 4 (Eaton 50). And a now 11 year old who started off on a Kaw. 220Bayou. We have been teaching them for over 2 years and continue everytime we ride. My 6 year old son started late last season, riding at Wayne, he now has a Polaris 90 Scrambler. He only was able to go about 8 miles last year then rode with Dad the remainder of the day. The 11 year old now has a 250 Trailblazer. We rode the 19th at Wayne and the little guy and his scrambler rode 24 miles with out any problems. Wayne doesn't have age restrictions on riders and you can ride doubles. But being from Ohio you probably have already been there. If you know of any other riding areas that allow young children and/or doubles please let us know.

Sam