Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Little Sahara Sand Dunes, Oklahoma

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2000, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got my dune tires ordered today from Rocky Mountain ATV, they should be here maybe by this weekend. I've never been to Little Sahara. How big of an area is it? How tall are the dunes? Is it all dunes or are there non-dune trails in the area as well? Should I bring my dirt tires to swap as needed? Do most people camp out or stay in a motel? What facilities does the place have? What should I plan on bringing with me? I plan on doing a weekend trip. I will be coming from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. When will ya'll be going?

Has anyone ever been to the dunes in Kermit, TX near Monahan sand hills? How does it compare to Little Sahara?

Old 03-09-2000, 04:24 PM
Range Rover

One of my favorite places to ride! We have relatives near Wichita so we go out to Little Sahara about twice a year.

There's about 1,500 acres to ride on. It's mostly hills but there is some trails to ride on. I wouldn't worry about switching tires because even the trails are sandy. The hills are about 75'-100' high. Be careful of the razors. A hill may look rounded but the other side may drop straight off!

You'll need a 8' flag to ride. If you don't have one there's a little shop about a 1/4 mile north of the park that has them, you can get there on your quad. Try the little buggy shop next door to the quick shop because they have a lifetime guarantee on the flag. If it breaks just bring the pieces back and they'll give you a new one. I've taken advantage of that a couple of times. It costs $6.00 to ride per day at the park.

Most people camp at the park. It has both primitive and electrical sites. The electrical sites are $12.00, not sure on the primitive sites.
The is a little motel about two miles north of the park that some people stay at as well.

You may want to check out the web site of the park. www.waynoka.com This is the web site for the town nearby, there is also a link for the park.

I'm not sure when our next trip will be. Post a reply when you get back and let me know what you think. HAVE FUN!

Old 03-09-2000, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's a blast! I've been several times. Good hills. Good mix of tall dunes, flat sand, & trails. The only bad thing is you can ride in a day. I've also been to Michigan dunes, Dumont Ca, & Glamis Ca. Nothing compares to Glamis! But Little Sahara is lots of fun, esp with paddles!

Old 04-18-2000, 12:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is anyone heading to Little Sahara for the 3 day weekend? Is there anything special going on? Will it be crowded?

Old 04-19-2000, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

I'll be at Little Sahara on Saturday. And yes, it will be packed. Easter weekend and the following weekend are the busiest of the entire year because of the annual Rattlesnake Hunt the weekend following Easter. But there will still be plenty of room for you to park, ride, or camp, especially in the new North Camp Area. Just ask one of the park rangers and they will direct you to the best place to park/camp. Dune fees have gone up to $7.00/day now. You'll love it.

Old 08-22-2000, 12:46 AM
Range Rover

Scooby I have been to kermit it is alot different than little sahara but it is fun in its own way. The hills are smaller but if your good enough you can jump from dune to dune

Old 08-23-2000, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Scooby, what sand tires did you get for the DS? My Raptor should be in soon and I wanted to know what paddle tires the big thumpers do best with. One good thing, the Sand Skate IIs on my Banshee will bolt on to the Raptor.

Hopefully the Raptor will arrive within the next 8 days so I can ride it at Little Sahara during the Labor Day weekend.

Old 08-25-2000, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

pairof98s, I would try the sand skate IIs from your banshee first, they are a proven great dune tire and would cost you nothing to try them out. They may be fine for a stock Raptor. I went with 20x10x10 9-paddle haulers. They don't hook up very good for me - I weigh 170lbs. They can dig and sink at takeoff and do not pull very hard. There is too much slip to get the frontend off the ground easily. I think the problem has to do with the weight of the DS, the narrow width of the 10" tire, and the short height of the claimed 20" hauler (more like 18"), and the high torque of a 4-stroke at low RPM as compared to a 2-stroke. I am not getting enough floatation. A better tire for the DS650 would be a wider, taller tire. A magazine review of sand tires said that the 12" ITP magnum wheel set was the fastest of the tires they tested on a banshee. They said running a taller tire in sand had the effect of gearing the banshee more like stock gearing on dirt. They said the 23" haulers on 12" rims pulled the hardest on the banshee. I am not sold on those rims & tires for the DS650 because the 23" haulers are 10.5" wide, and I think the DS650 needs a wider tire due to its weight. So I have special ordered 25x12x10 12-paddle taller haulers for the DS650. They are overkill for a stock DS650, but I plan on supercharging the DS for sand drags at LS. The DS has a plowing problem with the frontend in sand. I just bought 22x8x10 STU Razorbacks to solve that problem. As soon as I have my supercharger kit, I'll be heading for LS.