Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Iowa Guys, how many we got here!!

Old 03-05-2003, 01:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iowa Guys, how many we got here!!

Trail Addict-

You can't see a lot from the road. The area with jumps is down towards the river on the north side of the interstate bridge. Decent jumps I guess? I do more trail riding then jumping mostly for lack of high end equipment(i.e. Polaris)? Just be careful if you go when it warms up and gets busy, a lot of people jumping back to back. We sat and watched for about 5 minutes or so and was extremely surprised that no one went to the hospital!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Once it warms up and you end up wanting to go up to Timber Ridge, let us know!! There are a few of us who ride up there. Believe me, we are all pissed about this damn snow we keep getting!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Also interested in the ATV Parks in Iowa mainly the one that is supposed to be an old abodonded strip mine?? Anyone been there and know where I can find some pics of the terrain?

Old 03-05-2003, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider

Bussey, aka Bluff Creek OHV Park, used to be a mining area. I believe it is the best park so far in Iowa. I have not been to Council Bluffs park yet, but I have heard from friends that it isn't better than Bluff. On my atvconnection photo page, picture # 5, # 12, & # 16 are all at Bluff Creek. Not that those give you any idea of the entire park! It has a couple cool tracks, woods riding, and awesome hills! Don't go when it is really wet & muddy, though! That stuff is clay, and it's crazy-slippery when it's really wet. But since it is clay, it dries very fast, too. The very wet timet that we went we were on the top of a hill and were sliding sideways regardless of how our wheels were going because it was so slick. It was out-of-control slick!

Just FYI, you have to have a current registration on your ATV/Dirtbike, and helmets are required in the Iowa parks.

We're working on getting more parks in the state as well. There are some awesome opportunities. There are also a lot of private areas to ride at.

Old 03-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

At Timber Ridge what all is considered a "family" membership?????? ATV gurl you probably know where i'm heading on this!!!!! I imagine it's those that live directly in your household but doesn't hurt to ask! Sounds like a great place to try out, but definitely if paying 500 to ride, would want to have it be somewhere we could use. ATV gurl think we need to check this out!

ATV gurl - what day you planning on going to Bussey???? Polariman is out playing in the snow today on the snowmobile, but I don't think we have any plans for the weekend besides my usual "duty"....give us a buzz sometime to discuss.

Old 03-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

Timber Ridge is kinda laid back so to speak....

What I mean is they have their rules, but are not really regulated or enforced to well especially for how much they expect you to pay. We have ridden up there many times already and haven't paid for a membership yet! Not that we don't want to. The owners want to meet people before they except your money. I guess they want to keep out the Riff Raff. My buddy told me that I guess they had some problems with people leaving beercans, trash, etc. and things like trashing signs?? We went up last time at the end of fall with the intention of meeting the owners and paying them and they weren't even around? I just figure once we meet them we'll pay em.

I guess it depends really on how far you want to drive. We live in Blair, about 20 minutes north of Omaha. It's 54 miles to Onawa IA from here. Then it's about another 30 minutes to Timber Ridge. Takes probably 1.5 hrs?? Well worth it for us. When spring actually gets here we are going back up there ASAP!

As for the membership and household members, I assume that is how they would accept it. They give you a small sticker to put on your machine to show that you are a member. Although, my buddy's bike is the only stickered machine I've noticed??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

Is Timber Ridge what used to be called Castana years ago?????? I know my ex used to go ride his dirtbike there probably 15 years ago (I know I'm now aging myself here!) but he had to quit going there because it became a private park???

Old 03-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Polarigirl, Castana is a little town about 6-7 miles from Timber Ridge. It's possible your ex rode there but it's been membership only for prolly over 20 yrs. there used to be a lot of "back entrances" to T. Ridge so he might have been riding in the area.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

That must be the place then - I remember he used to think it was a great place to ride in fact my son said they were going to get a membership to Timber Ridge to ride now that our kids are older and better riders. I'll do my bragging - my oldest got 4th in the hare scrambler they had in Fort Dodge this fall (he is 13 and rode a 125 Yamaha) and my baby who's 7 got 2nd in his pee wee class - he would have got 1st if he would have understood that he didn't have to shut off his dirt bike everytime he went through the starting gates!!!! For being both the boy's first hare scrambles I was pretty proud. Ok - I'm done! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]