Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Johnson valley--SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Johnson valley--SoCal

Went out there the last 2 weekends and was wondering if there is any good technical trails I may have missed.We rode to the sand dunes near emerson lake,then west to the smaller dunes and most everything out there was flat and kinda boring....which way to the good stuff?

Old 11-12-2002, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hit gorman or dove springs,Mojave desert MAN!!!Endless riding ..P.S Bring A Map

Old 11-13-2002, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

There is one place out there that is well known attraction for rock crawling. Can't remember the name right now, but from the pictures I have seen, it is pretty intense!! Some of those places I wouldn't do without a couple of spotters.

Old 11-13-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YZGUY
There is one place out there that is well known attraction for rock crawling. Can't remember the name right now, but from the pictures I have seen, it is pretty intense!! Some of those places I wouldn't do without a couple of spotters.
Hey yzguy,I figured that you would answer! LOL

That would be the hammer trails.I'm also a member of the Victor Valley 4-wheelers .The group that built them trails.I got tired of breaking axles,u-joints ect and now I only go on the mellower drives.Then I bought a quad......much more fun than my Jeep!

Anyways,The Johnson area is huge! It goes from Old woman springs rd north to I-40,gotta be 40-50 miles and from 247 east to the military base near landers must be about 30 miles.

I just havn't been trail riding out there before and was a little disapointed with what we found,mostly miles of whoops that dont go anywhere.....theres gotta be more I just need to find it.

Old 11-13-2002, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Have not been out there for years (like 15 years), so I don't remember any details. As I recall, it wasn't that great. So, I probably have this subconcious picture of the place being kind of lame. That's probably why I haven't been back!! They sure stage a lot of races out there though.

Old 11-13-2002, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Chris,
Yeh, johnson valley is a bit spread out. a bunch of small stuff but a lot to find. North west is galway dry lake, massive, and for high speed runs. Have you been in the mine between the "big" dune and emerson lake in the hills. There is a stream bed that offers some pretty technical stuff there but is mostly used by 4x4. Check the surrounding areas stream beds for some high speed tech stuff, its good for sure. Missed you last weekend please look for 01, silver/black raptor and a 400ex hauling a$$ and that will be us. Usually with a group of others not so fast. Will be there this weekend and would be happy to point you to some of the areas. Hpoe to see you there. regards

Old 11-14-2002, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Reekster,

How did you know I like to go check out mines?Thats one of my favorite things besides quads and women.I even carry a flashlight with me in case I find a mine,I havn't bumped my head on a rock sticking out of the roof of a mine in a long time.

No, I havn't seen the mine between the "big" dunes and the dry lake.Gotta go find that!

So far I havn't ventured very far in that area,the first time we were there it was dark and we were afraid of getting lost.The second time we mostly played on the "small" dunes.

Gotta go farther out next time!

You guys look for me too,I'm easy to spot.I have an 01 Mojave (green) and its the only one I have seen around here with a 6-pac rack on it,the rack is from a Blaster so it sticks out behind the bike and not "on top" of the bike like a "normal" Mojave one does.

Got a Supertrapp on it too.

I drive an old blue International 4x4 pickup and if I get bored I take it to the dunes and chase the buggies around!

My friend has a new kfx-400,his wife rides a red 400ex,her sister has a yellow z-400,her husband rides an XR650 and sometimes another fellow goes with us that rides one of them 650cc Kawasaki 4x4 ones,hes the head mechanic from the Kawasaki store in Victorville and a "big boy"......See were easy to spot!

Old 11-16-2002, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer

Meens Dry lake in johnson valley,that's where you want to go. You can also take a ride to the Water Well,it is north of the highway,or giant rock. Huntington Beach Motorcycle Club (HBMC) holds there annual desert race there. It is a little hard to find the turnoff but it's a nice fireroad down to the lake bed.

Old 11-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Retodd
Meens Dry lake in johnson valley,that's where you want to go. You can also take a ride to the Water Well,it is north of the highway,or giant rock. Huntington Beach Motorcycle Club (HBMC) holds there annual desert race there. It is a little hard to find the turnoff but it's a nice fireroad down to the lake bed.
Yup, I go in Boone rd and leave from means dry lake.Just kinda need to know which way to go from there.

Trying to talk my friends into going out there next saturday nov 23. We got a brand new rider,he has a 400 ex and possibly a cute waitress from a restaurant in Hesperia,she has a blaster.

Anybody.....Any ideas as to how I can transport 3 quads in my truck?

Old 12-01-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Spent this last weekend out there.Since it was turkey day weekend the place was pretty packed.It rained Friday,Friday night and early saturday morning.Kept the dust down WooHoo!

We camped near Means dry lake due to the rain......We didn't want to wake up to Means wet/muddy your motorhome has sank in the mud and your quads have floated away lake!

The larger dunes were very rough since the sand was too wet to blow smooth overnight [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

We rode across Means and followed the road (boone?) around out past the currant mining operation and found a mine right next to the road.I only had a small maglight on me and as soon as we got in total darkness the bulb burned out!Spent the next 20 minutes or so tripping over rocks and hitting our heads on the top of the mineshaft in total darkness to get out!

We rode over to the smaller dunes about 5 miles west of Means dry lake.They were tore up and there was about 200 people riding on them and some crazy people jumping buggies off of them.

On our way back my lower ball joint came out of it's socket!I was doing a wheelie when I saw the right front wheel drop ,I knew it was gonna hurt when I came down but managed not to crash.

Got it back to camp and spent the rest of saturday night hanging at camp with the girls. <---good thing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

When we woke up this morning there was fog.It was so thick that we couldn't see 20 feet!

We packed up and headed home.

Gonna check out Stoddard valley next time.

Quick Reply: Johnson valley--SoCal