Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

New Video Suggests Yamaha Making High Performace Side-by-Side

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default New Video Suggests Yamaha Making High Performace Side-by-Side

There have been whispers spreading about the industry of late suggesting that Yamaha finally wants to play in the ultra-high-performance UTV class currently owned by Polaris, Can-Am and Arctic Cat.

If this latest video from Youtube is any indicator, it looks like these rumors may indeed be true:

ATV Video: Yamaha Teases New High Performance UTV - ATVConnection.com

Old 07-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No need to tease customers, just tell them what you're going to build. By doing that, you're potentially losing thousands of customers. They'll just buy something they know already exists instead of waiting for your "mystery machine" to finally be released. Honda has already done that with the new Pioneer 1000. They released a video telling all about the machine before it was even available. Customers appreciate that. Yamaha is trying to be clever but I just don't see the point. If you're building it, tell all about it. Customers want information before they even think about buying something. They don't just wander into a dealer without doing some research ahead of time. If Yamaha waits too long, that potential customer will just buy something else.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of Yamaha's new things usually just involve "bold new graphics" or some new plastic on an old quad, or just renaming an existing one......I won't get very exicted until I actually see it.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think they have to do something. Honda even has a 1000cc side by side now. Yamaha is now the slowest one. Granted Suzuki has never even attempted to build a side by side though.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully it doesn't have a CVT....

Old 07-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HondaR24
Hopefully it doesn't have a CVT....
Honda is the only one that builds them without cvt. Yamaha does a great job with their cvt systems. I believe they're the best in the business. Polaris may have invented cvt transmissions but Yamaha has perfected them. It will most likely have very aggressive clutching for great acceleration. I think the bigger concern is will it have comparable power to the Maverick 1000 and RZR 1000.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
Honda is the only one that builds them without cvt. Yamaha does a great job with their cvt systems. I believe they're the best in the business. Polaris may have invented cvt transmissions but Yamaha has perfected them. It will most likely have very aggressive clutching for great acceleration. I think the bigger concern is will it have comparable power to the Maverick 1000 and RZR 1000.
They use CVTs in their utility quads and SxSs but this is a entirely different class they are entering. Yamaha puts manual transmissions in their raptors, yfz's, yzf's and R series street bikes so it would only make sense that they kept the trend going.

A manual transmission just has a flat out advantage out in the desert because it not only is a hell of alot more efficient, but it also has the capabilities to shift down on the fly while tackling a steep dune that may bog a motor down. Even the 1000cc Mavericks, RZRs and wildcats will bog down on the really steep stuff which forces them to turn back down the hill alot of times. With a manual transmission, if you start bogging in 5th, you can simply shift down to 4th and keep chugging along.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Once again, Yamaha will NOT put a manual transmission in a side by side. Yamaha builds high performance snowmobiles and all of those have cvt transmissions. Yamaha knows how to build a cvt system that can handle a lot of power. As far as not being able to make it up a steep hill or sand dune, some hills are just too steep unless you have monster hp and no side by side has that stock no matter what gear you might be in. I've seen modified side by sides with engine swaps and turbos making over 250hp. Those are the machines you see charging up those steep dunes, along with other high hp machines. I give credit to Honda for stepping outside the box but don't expect anyone else to do it. Yamaha will beef up the clutching and components to handle the extra power but won't follow Honda's lead. Honda is doing their own thing, the rest will not follow.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

I'd reckon any advantage to being able to down shift on a steep sand hill will be lost the second you let off the gas to downshift. It's not like a car on a steep paved hill where momentum won't drop like a brick.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
Once again, Yamaha will NOT put a manual transmission in a side by side. Yamaha builds high performance snowmobiles and all of those have cvt transmissions. Yamaha knows how to build a cvt system that can handle a lot of power. As far as not being able to make it up a steep hill or sand dune, some hills are just too steep unless you have monster hp and no side by side has that stock no matter what gear you might be in. I've seen modified side by sides with engine swaps and turbos making over 250hp. Those are the machines you see charging up those steep dunes, along with other high hp machines. I give credit to Honda for stepping outside the box but don't expect anyone else to do it. Yamaha will beef up the clutching and components to handle the extra power but won't follow Honda's lead. Honda is doing their own thing, the rest will not follow.
You may be right, we will have to wait and see

Quick Reply: New Video Suggests Yamaha Making High Performace Side-by-Side