Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

Rhino Oil Filter.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rhino Oil Filter.

The Raptor takes a different filter though, I thought that was interesting since the Grizzly motor is made from the 660 Raptor motor.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with the Service Manager where I bought my Grizzly 700 before I bought it and mentioned that from what I read the Grizzly essentially had the Raptor motor at which time he just laughed. He told me that it is not a Raptor engine, but had features taken from the Raptor especially the combustion chamber. He said due to the popularity of the Raptor, Yamaha would like you to think you are getting a Raptor engine, but you are not. Having gone back and read some of the reviews, you will note we have been misled. This was taken from a review by ATRV Rider and is pretty consistent with other reviews: "This engine is based on the Raptor's combustion chamber design and produces a powerful combination of low-rev torque, instant throttle response and impressive amounts of horsepower."

Old 01-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

That is what I meant when I said it was made from the Raptor motor. similar enough I would not think they would have different oil filters.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

OK, I misread. Yes, you would think so as the engine has definitely been changed and it would seem to make sense from financial point to use as many existing parts as they could from the Raptor motor to cut the cost of production and promote parts interchangeability. But then again, we wouldn't have to buy so many different parts to keep on hand for them if we own several machines.

As a side note, are you aware that the Rhino has a fuel filter that also needs to be changed?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

No, I was not aware of that. I will have to look into it. is that yamaha only part?

Over the winter I was going to try and put a shutoff valve in the fuel line so that when I park it I can run the carb dry. We keep it at our cabin and sometimes it sits for a few months, and I always had better luck running carbs dry when I park them.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

I am not surprised as it is not mentioned in the manual anywhere and the dealer from whom I bought it didn't know about it either.

The darned thing started cutting out and finally dying on me after being operated for a few minutes and the dealer told me my engine was overheating and shutting off because it would start after letting it sit for a while. It spent a month in the shop and they did all kinds of work on it and told me it was fixed. I took it home and of course it was not. Back to the shop for three more weeks; same thing.

When it was not fixed I asked the Service Manager at another dealer and he asked me if I had changed the fuel filter as that is what it sounded like. I asked, "What fuel filter?" I took it up to have them take a look at it and the mechanic came out with a new filter which is located behind the passenger seat and replaced it for the price of the filter and it runs fine. He said to always keep one with you as well as a spark plug and to change the filter when you service your machine. It is just a regular in line fue filter and once you get one from Yamaha, you could probably get one just like it at any number of places.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, I forgot, instead of running my carb dry, I put Stabil in my tank and run it long enough to get into the carburetor. The carb on my Harley developed some leaky gaskets after leaving it dry during storage; guess it depends on the carb as I always use to do this with my outboards without problems.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

I will look at the filter and price one out at the dealer, or get a generic one at the auto store that is similar.

I know that Harly recomends storing with stabil in the fuel and a full tank. I have not had problems with my other ATV's so id not think running it dry would be problem. The Rhino and ATV's never sit all winter long either though?