Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

BIG News From Yamaha: Meet the Wolverine R-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:50 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default BIG News From Yamaha: Meet the Wolverine R-Spec

Not even a full month into 2015 and Yamaha has dropped big news on the industry- they're getting set to roll out a 2016 model!

Not just some bold new graphics treatment either, this new model happens to be an all new side-by-side from the ground up.

Meet the 2016 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec here:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/m...verine-r-spec/

Just prepare to get drool on your keyboard!

Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Couldn't find any mention of the width of the machine. Am I missing something?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does not look like a big leap over the Rhino on the spec sheet. I was expecting a bold new motor over the 686cc Rhino but a 708cc single cylinder seems like a small hop not a leap for these heavy SXSs.
A 850 Twin cylinder at least once your over 1000 lbs.

I,m sure the new 708 will have more power so wait if your looking at a 700 Grizzly because it may also get this mew motor, if its worth the cost and wait.

Couldn't find any mention of the width of the machine. Am I missing something?
Ever hear of a narrow SXS I ,haven't ? They can not get to thin or they would roll over.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I found it on their website that it's 60" wide. That makes it unusable on a lot of trails in NH that are 50" restricted. I thought they'd be coming out with a trail width machine.

Kind of odd calling it Wolverine which was light for a 4x4 sport.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like right at 60" wide. Sounds a bit overweight at 1311 lbs curb weight. But it has a huge fuel tank, 9.7 gallons so dry weight is probably under 1200 lbs then. Here
s the full spec sheet 2016 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS from UTVUNDERGROUND Its Yamahas first real sport side by side but unless they can make significantly more power from an engine only slightly larger than what is in the Grizzly that weighs 600 lbs less, its going to fall short of the competition. I think if they had made it a smaller 50" wide machine that is down near 1000 lbs dry weight, then that engine might be sufficient. At $13199 retail for the base model, it costs over $1000 more than the base Can Am Commander 800 retail price($11899) and I'm certain the 800 Rotax engine makes a lot more power. Even the base Polaris Rzr 900 50" is slightly less expensive at $12799 retail and will fit on a lot more trails being only 50" wide. I think Yamaha by not giving this machine a bigger and more powerful v-twin engine, has made marketing and selling it more difficult than it needed to be. It looks like a cool machine but the competitions' machines will outperform it and cost less. At least when Honda came out with their new underpowered side by sides they priced them cheaper than the competition to get people to buy them. Honda owners are the most brand loyal of any make, Yamaha can't rely on that as much.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by TLC

Ever hear of a narrow SXS I ,haven't ? They can not get to thin or they would roll over.
Polaris RZR and Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail. AC Wildcat Trail gets a 700 cc. RZR gets a 570, 800, or 900. All are 50" wide side by sides. Have pretty low center of gravity due to lower seating and design. Are these considered SxS by the industry?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:09 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Never heard of a trail width Law.
The only trail width law we have is the measurements between those two big trees on each side of the path.
Even then a chainsaw can correct that.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've watched some riding videos where they actually have a gate that you have to pass through and if its a 50" trail anything wider than 50" won't fit through the gate. So its not really a law but many trail systems do try to deter wider vehicles from using certain trails. Like was said on another thread that if trail widths are made wider to easily accomodate the really wide pure sport side by sides, then full size trucks and jeeps will use them too even if they are not allowed because they will fit. Its an attempt to keep wider vehicles off narrow trails but I'm sure some people find another entry point to the trails and ride on them anyway. Id I were to ever get a side by side, I think it would probably be a 50" wide model just because of the ability to fit down the same trails that atvs can. They're smaller and lighter and fit on a narrower trailer or can be hauled in the bed of a truck even. Less space for storage would be another big plus for me too.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

In NH there are a few I've seen. Mostly on multi-use railtrails. Few clubs have gates that are about 52". Have to be careful not to go too wide when getting new tires. When I went up a size on my Sportsman X2 there was one gate that was right around 51". Was a very tight squeeze. From what I'm hearing NH is going to change the rule to allow for wider side by sides.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

I actually like the design a lot, although I think they could have done a better job with the front lights. Everything seems extremly well though out and like everything from yamaha, the quality looks outstanding.

I'd think the engine should be good for 55-60 HP or else you have to figure it wouldn't have been worth making the switch from the 686cc mill (which makes 48 now).

Greg: It's hard to compare the price of a polaris to the price of a yamaha (or any japanese brand for that matter).. Polaris ATVs have always been cheaper because although they make more power, everything else comes at a compromise. Parts wear out faster, electrical problems are more persistent and the reliability of the engine/trans is uncomparable. it really comes down to what you don't see.

Quick Reply: BIG News From Yamaha: Meet the Wolverine R-Spec