Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Quad for a 4 year old!!

Old 06-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad for a 4 year old!!

I was thinking of getting a qaud for my nephew and he is 4 years old, I want him to start riding at an early age so by the time he is 10 he could kick my a$$... heh heh heh, no but I want to get him a sport quad like mine, would the raptor 80 be to big for his age or what?

~NuG~

Old 06-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

ya i think it would be a bit big.
i would just get a lt50 they are reliable and have smaller fitting controls for a 4 year olds smaller feet and hands.

Old 06-01-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

According to government regulations I believe you have to be 13 or 14 to ride anything over a 50. Also, from personal experience, we have an 80 right now that our 5 year old and 8 year old ride. My daughter is only allowed in second gear. She follows me around the yard and has had a spill or two on it. My five year old has had an accident as well. But, he is not allowed out of first. We work with them quite alot and have even made them watch the safety video.

So, if you are willing to really spend alot of time with your nephew and purchase all safety gear required and have parental permission then the 80 would be one he would be able to ride for about 5 years. After my son's spill he does not want back on. My daughter is a speed demon and jumped right back on.

Hope this helps.

Rhonda V

Old 06-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

My brother and his wife died in a car accident and I took over taking care of him and I am only 19 yrs old... I have been taking care of him since 2 months ago and I figure that since I ride alot he will too cuz he loves watching me wheelie up and down the street!! I might get the raptor 80 cuz I have a raptor and he wants to be just like me so I figure I will go for it, but he should be fine in first then right?

~NuG~

Old 06-02-2003, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Personally I think that is way too young to have an atv. Can he even ride a bicycle? I think that it would be better to make him ride a bicycle, and its better exercise too. I would wait a couple of years to get him an atv. I think that would be very dangerous for a four year old to ride an atv. JMO

Old 06-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

He has rode a PW 80 before so that pretty much sums up that he can ride a bike...

~NuG~

Old 06-02-2003, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Chubbynug

sorry to hear about your brother and sister in laws passing. You get much respect from me for stepping up and taking your nephew under your wing. It sucks growing up without any rolemodel, I know. Have you looked at any Eton 50's? If he rode an 80 before and had no problems, then get him one, just supervise. Once again, sorry about your loss.

Old 06-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

I agree, much respect to you! However, when I turned 12 I got a 12 guage shotgun for my birthday, it has a 30 inch barrel. While it fits me perfect now, I developed a lot a bad habits because the gun was too big and too long. I think he should ride, but the best young riders build confidence by mastering there machines and moving up. He will probably quickly outgrow a 50, but that will build his confidence until he becomes like wshrdskin kid Justin (fearless 14 jumped in to race the Banshee Chic on a raptor). Get him a 50 and tell him that when he proves to you he is a "pro" you'll get him that 80 raptor, and so forth and so on.

Old 06-02-2003, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, Where can I look at an Eton 50... I garauntee that within no time he will be able to hang with me!! But yeah, I have always loved the little kid like a brother, I feel and know that my brother wouldn't want anyone raising him but me, I really do appreciate hearing that from you guys, it really helps alot!!

~NuG~

Old 06-02-2003, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

I've seen a few on ebay from time to time, I would also check your local trader paper, they're usually pretty cheap, depending on the shape.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quad for a 4 year old!!