Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Does the YFZ450 have reverse??

Old 06-05-2003, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the YFZ450 have reverse??

Originally posted by: XxDumontRaptorxX
We'll the real question is, why? It is made for racing as you can tell, reverse would require yammy to redesign alot of the engine components, and that would cost money. It's easier using an engine that is allready designed and proven to work well, then to redesign it for something that really makes no dif in yammies eyes, i mean wheres pred reverse??? and does the ex have it??? I think the Z does but i am not sure. It just isn't worth it for yammy to do it, but i know where your comming from and it would be very nice to have it. But like diablo said its a paper wieght just toss her around and go.
The z does have reverse but I don't use it a whole lot neither.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] What no reverse? Thank god for the low end grunt, then.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2003, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

How much do you think they dtuned the motor from the bike form?

Old 06-05-2003, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider

when i first heard no reverse, i thot it was a mistake, but at 350 lbs, its only slightlty heavier than a Blaster! and i pick up the front end and move it on my blaster! so really, it's not a biggie.
Seems its been engineered primarily for track racing anyway.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Kudos too Yamaha for not adding reverse too the 450! 1 item off the list off possible failures.....if you are too lazy too cut the wheel and hit the gas, stay at home.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe this is Yamaha's solution to the blown trany problems. Did they take the starter out too and make it kick start only?

Old 06-05-2003, 08:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Starky
Maybe this is Yamaha's solution to the blown trany problems. Did they take the starter out too and make it kick start only?
It's electric start. Maybe a kick start will be available from the bike?

Old 06-05-2003, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

well, reverse may be important to some folks as we are not all 22 anymore, tho we would like to be...
i really need it on the Raptor, or i couldnt get it out of the shed! the blaster, wedged in there too, i can move around without too much trouble, once the rap has backed out.
i havent had a prob with reverse yet, knock wood, perhaps things will last a while longer...
Hopefully, that indicates that this is a race machine, not a trail quad, and will steer people to the raptoid and the soon to come new warrior and blaster. I think this bad boy may have been niched to replace the banshee. It may take a while for banshee fans to warm up to a four stroke, but i think itll happen. 4 stroke technology is really cookin now.
anyway, on the heavier rigs, reverse is cool. race quads, not needed! that makes the 450 a race quad in my book, like the old 250r hondoo, I hope this works out!!!
go ridin!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2003, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

somebody on another forum said there was an optional gytr kick starter. but i suspect BS.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

My Predator doesn't have reverse, and I don't use it to race or anything. It's just my trail and fun quad. For the most part, I never miss reverse, the thing whips around like a dream so I almost never get into a situation where I'd need it. I'll be taking a serious look at this new YFZ400 in a year or two when I'm ready for another quad and the lack of reverse won't make me blink.

My wife's 300ex has reverse but it's such a clunky set up I tell her not to bother using it. Takes less time to hop off and pull it back anyway.

To those of you pining for reverse, I say try living a week (pick one where you actually use your ATV) and never use the reverse. Drive it like you don't have it. You'll be surprised just how seldom you need it once you "adapt" to it's lack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does the YFZ450 have reverse??