Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I have a jetting problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a jetting problem

Hi all,

I have a re-jet problem that is baffleing me. My brother in law has a warrior with a white bros pipe and a hi-flow air cleaner. We installed a dynojet (moose) stage 1 jet kit. The kit specified to use a 136 jet for aftermarket pipe at 0-3000 feet, which is where we are. Also said to set the needle on groove 4 which we did. The bike runs horribly rich. We have gone down 1 size on the main jet, and gone as lean as we can on the needle clip, but it still runs bad. It idles fine and full throttle seems OK if a little rich, but the main problem is just off idle. When given just a little throttle, it stumbles and starts puffing black smoke. I would say it happens at about 2%-10% throttle. Once you open it up a bit more it clears out. We have tried all the needle settings and adjusted the idle mixture screw from 1/2 turn out to 3 turns. Need some ideas here, we're stumped!

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer

Also, if anyone has done a warrior carb, can you confirm the order that things go in the slide? Does the needle go first or does the spring go first?

Old 12-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Range Rover

Hi Steve,

I did a Warrior with that exact jet kit and had the same problem. Check the accelerator pump. The pictures in the kit dont show this well enough. The throttle cable rotates the linkage thing on the side of the carb. That opens up the carb AND pushes down on the accelerator pump piston. I had the boot over the top of the piston holding it down all the time. The piston should extend out THROUGH the boot. That allows the piston to be up when off the throttle and push down for a squirt of gas when you give it throttle. Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

Will check it out when I get home. I know I pulled the AP rod completely out and reseated it, but never cheked how it ended up so there's a very good chance that it's the problem. This thing is driving me nuts, thanks for the tip!!! I know the carb is a 36mm mikuni, does anyone know the part number or model series (RS, TM, etc) so I can look for a diagram? Anyone have a diagram?

Old 12-30-2003, 04:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

try this
http://www.mikuni.com/fs-manuals.html
Sounds like the pilot jet, may be a bit rich, if it stubbles off idle.

Old 12-31-2003, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

What a mess. Checked the accell pump, it was fine. Decided to go back to factory jetting and see what happened. Tookthe carb off and replaced the needle and main jet, and I noticed that the float looked like it was too high. Just guessing, but I bent it back down so it sat perpendicular to the bowl edge. Put it all back together stock and it ran fine, just lean like it was before the jetting. So we then went one step at a time, first replaced the factory needle with the DJ one and that ran fine, then swapped the main jet out for the DH136 and that too ran great. As far as I can tell it must have been the float. Oh well, runs awesome now, lots of power.

Thanks for the help guys...