Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee overheating

First, how do you know it's overheating? Because it's coming out of the overflow tube and spilling onto your exhaust? Could be overheating or it could be this:

http://kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu/~john/tips.html

Next, get a temp gauge! That way you know if you're getting hot and can shut down before you truly do overheat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

Colby

Old 06-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

There is a simple fix for it. You can move the coolent bottle to the front above the A ARMS. I have herd that you will never over heat again.

Old 06-10-2004, 01:08 AM
Range Rover

Lol, why don't you think about what you just said...

how would relocating a coolant tank have ANY impact on overheating? It holds fluid, it doesn't effect the cooling of the motor.

Now, read the link I provided above. It explains what moving the coolant tank does..

Or let me summarize it for you. The factory location and routing of the overflow hose allows fluid to spill into the overflow hose when you go up steep inclines. You then level out and pressure pushes the fluid out and onto the exhaust. People think they are overheating when they are not. Moving the tank keeps this from happening, that's all it does.

Colby

Old 06-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

My 2 cents -

Banshee overheating is overrated. I ran my 2000 at Glamis for 4 seasons and it never overheated; fmf pipes, pro flow air filter (lid off), reeds, stock radiator, stock head, and 50/50 af/distilled water (prestone af) and 320 mains . If there is water on the pipes from the overflow it is normal. All Banshees do it. If it is gurgling, the impeller as many have mentioned is bad or you are running lean. Oh I believe the impeller is plastic. If you run it at low speeds or labor the motor at slow speeds for an extended time at temps ~ 90 degrees it may overheat.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Range Rover

The problem is no one is really qualified to answer as to Banshee overheating...unless you have a temp gauge. Your coolant doesn't have to be boiling over for your temps to be WAY too high. Having a temp gauge, I can verify that overheating is a serious problem for my riding style (woods and trails mainly). Our motors don't like low RPM's. The other situation where I get too hot is if I am hung up and revving the motor and shifting my weight trying to get traction. High RPM, poor airflow through the radiator gets the motor overheating quick.

Colby

Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

have new impeller on bike and coolhead bottom hose feels little soft upper feel hard.I think may be air in bike still I rebuilt it because of coolant was bubble out of top of head.So I though it was a bad headgasket replace it and still overheated someone told me block may be warpped.